Saturday, November 08, 2008

Karaoke Fun

THEY LOVE ME, THEY REALLY LOVE ME!

Too bad I am too old to be discovered, my shot for American Idol passed many blue moons ago which is too bad because I could have been very rich and very famous, but you know what that is just fine with me. I prefer to be poor but happy. Yesterday, during karaoke night I made a few fans and fed on the applause. It's all going to my head and I don't know if I'll be able to deal with my new found karaoke success. Well, at least that is my side of the story and I am sticking to it.

Just kiddin', truth is that for now Friday night karaoke at Manny's is proving to be fun. Just three weeks ago I sat in a far away table and waited for mi chica there but last night as I took possession of my little corner table I was invited to the big regulars table, jeez the pressure was on, now I had to get up to par with the rest, all of a sudden I didn't have the safety of my little table for two with the nearby TV screen I considered my own for the past five weeks which allowed me to politely show them my back instead of my shaking hands and face.

So, that all changed last night. I had to get my courage and face the crowd and you know what, it was not that hard and actually it was fun. I don't know how fun it was for them to see a Mexican statute singing, because last night that's what I was, one hand on the microphone and the other in my pocket a la Frank Sinatra, all I needed was a cigarrete haning from my mouth but alas I quit smoking some fourteen years ago. So, for last night a singing statue I was but luckily that was good enough to win the crowd over.

Since mi chica and I been going there I have not repeated a song, the regulars there pretty much sing the same songs week after week. I just don't get it. In talking with Abe, our karaoke MC, I found out last night that he is holding -- get this! In that little lap top of his, he is holding over 25,000 songs, wow! and I was worried that I was going to run out of song very soon. His books are huge, I no longer go through them, now all I do is walk up to him ask him if he has a specific song which most probably he will and he just sets it up for me.

Mi chica rides with this lady on Fridays, for the past three or four weeks she would drop her off at the door and then leave. Last night she decided to come in with her and she was so surprised at the camaraderie of us karaokeres (I think I just invented this word) and how everybody was talking to each other. She is like "Wow, is this what you guys do on Fridays". I am sure that even though she doesn't sing she'll be back next week.

Tonight we have been invited to yet a different place to go karaoke. So we will be picking my sister and her husband up and then we'll meet some more friends there. In contrast to Manny's which is mostly a country music crowd, tonight should be mostly Spanish, and I am totally looking forward to it.

And so for your listening pleasure or displeasure, I'll take either one, here's my rendition of a John Michael Montgomery classic.



4 comments:

Betty F said...

SOunds like a WONDERFUL time! It's not whether YOU can live with yourself.. It's more Can YOUR CHICA live with YOU. LOL The spanish one should be fun tonight! Have fun!

Chely said...

Are you going to take me here when I visit for Thanksgiving???

Nice song! Me cae de variedad tu acento cuando cantas. Se parece al mio. LOL

Besitos,

Crystal said...

Looks like we have a spot to check out when I get to visit AZ again! =)

We're going to have to make it a family event so you can have a BIG cheer crowd! (Not like you need it, I'm sure!) =)

Anonymous said...

Well of course they love you - you are awesome!! That song was great!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants