Friday, August 11, 2006

Kelly Clarkson's Concert

The other day Kelly Clarkson's concert took place at the Cricket Pavillion, for what I heard it was a good concert. That's why I got so upset when a young writer for the local newspaper gave us her 2 cents worth by saying and I quote "I'm better off with an iPod". In her article she states that she didn't know how to prepare herself to be surrounded by thousands of sweaty 14-year olds, clinging to their friends cell phones, the T-shirt they just bought and their bling-bling purses. Like maybe she was the only one not sweating. If you live in Phoenix then you know that Cricket Pavillion is an outdoors concert facility, and that in mid-July the temperature is well over 105 degrees.

In the article she went on to critizise how these half pint 7-year olds wear were wearing 3-inch stilettos and skimpy clothing, but the moms accopaining them were not safe either, yes according to her they were wearing just as few articles of clothing. So in her mind she was the perfect concert goer, at roughly 23 years of age she dressed appropiately and refrained from using her cell phone. She said she was not prepared for the karaoke that went on during the concert, how dare people sing along and sing all the wrong notes, how was she ever going to prepare for that, and then to close her article she said and I quote "If I wanted to go to a freak show, I'd go to the fair"

Why do I care about what she said? Well, because my 21 year old daughter and 17 year old niece went to that concert, and because they are young and they like to dress nice, maybe wear some nice high heels, and my daughter probably took her Coach purse, which she'll take care of like it it was made of pure solid gold. They love Kelly Clarkson and probably know the lyrics to most if not all her songs and as I read the article I kept thinking that maybe, just maybe they were the ones sitting right next to this girl and the thought of thinking of my daughter and niece as freaks just didn't set well with me.

I am almost 100% sure that most of the concert goers were young girls that really wanted to see the Original Idol in person, it was probably the highlight of their month if not their year and to unknowigly be called freaks is not right nor is acceptable. I already sent an email to the "letters" section of the newspaper to let them know how I felt and now I'm just venting here because I thought this would be a good place for me to vent out.

So, do you really see freaks at the fair?

7 comments:

Battlerocker said...

I gotta ask, if she hated young girls, why on earth did she go to a kelly clarkson show? This seems like going to a sumo match and writing a review about how all the wrestlers are fat. Even if she had a point about the crowd (I'm missing it if she does) what is the purpose of her story? She may have just written thre words: I hate teenagers. Hardly award-winning coverage.

Michelle said...

I do agree. I was at the concert and yes pretty much every girl had a coach or dooney purse, but I don't think that any were dresses skimpy at all. Like you said it was July and very hot! So yes they may have worn spaghetti straps and shorts, but not anything you wouldn't see anyone else wearing, especially in Arizona! Me and Marya can say we had a good time. We chatted a little with the people around us. (Some teenage girls, and a mother with her like 9 year old daughter) I can't believe she would write anything like that. It was an awesome concert. Oh and just to add, the kellyoke (as it was called) was just plain fun. If we had been there earlier then maybe we would have joined in. But we were too late and only got to see the final 2 people.

Nikki Darling said...

Like I said, I too read that article and to put it simply..That girl was full of....Balony!
I didn't sacrifice my tickets to hear one unhappy person shed a bad light on a from what I heard, good concert. I think we should all ban together, write a letter, and see if we make it into the WVV.

Scooter McGavin said...

As a former concert employee, I'm going to have to side with reporter. And besides all the negatives she sited, I also had to endure the propsitioning by those 14 year old girls in hopes to get back stage to meet one of the Backstreet Boys (or was it N*Sync, not that there is really a difference).

Scooter McGavin's 9th Green

Jose said...

I understand that different acts will grab different crownds, i.e. Hot Red Chilly Peppers or whatever the name is and or Oz Fest. But Kelly Clarkson? Come on.

I agree with battlerocker, if you don't go to a concer with an open mind, stay home.

Michelle - I am happy you and Maryita were able to have so much fun, unlike the 23-year old reporter.

Nikki - Sorry you had to give up your tickets because of school, I know you are a Kelly Clarkson die hard fan. But at least our sister and cousing got to enjoy them. And by the way I did send a letter to WWV.

Scooter - I don't doubt what you said, these are crazy times and kids now are not like kids in my days, well we were probaly the same but kids now adays are indeed a little different. However it's all in good fun. I hope you didn't accept whatever brives these kids offered you while you worked at the concerts. I had a friend that used to work at the concert hall, he told me that he flat our refused to work when certain acts perfomed there, and special claning crews needed to be hired to clean up after the fans left.

Crystal said...

I really hate when people are so closed minded. You go to watch a show and have fun, not pick at every single person. Granted people will sing out of tune, I'm pretty sure that reporter is no different.

I've noticed alot of negetivity in reviews in general recently. Mostly in movie reviews. I tend not to read them at all anymore and just enjoy it for myself, rather than ruining it by reading someone elses take on it.

I'm pretty sure the girls had fun that night, and that is all that counts!

P.s. - I finally wrote a blog

Scooter McGavin said...

I didn't accept any bribes, but when I was feeling nice, I would take something backstage to be signed, not by band member, instead by a stage hand named Bob who would write "thanks for the support [random baybander name]."

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants