Monday, August 21, 2006

Time

Where does time go? What do we do with it? Now that I'm older it seems I have less of it. My granddaughter turns 5 tomorrow and to me it feels like it was just yesterday when she was brought home from the hospital. Three weeks ago she started school and a funny thing happened, that brought back memories. A long time ago on my sons first day of school drama unfolded in the form of a crying boy clinging to his daddy's leg and dragging with it as he screamed "No daddy don't leave me, please don't leave" yep you would have thought that I was really abandoning him forever and ever, an Oscar moment if he would have been an actor if you ask me, but no it was real and it was funny (not to him of course). Two hours later I get a call from school that my son had tried to jump the fence, imagine that, four and a half years old and a fugitive from pre-school. Luckily for all they saw him and his escape attempt did not succeed.

Fast forward to present again, the family is invited to go and be with the kids as they start their first day of school. Unfortunately I could not attend but "mi chica" did and when she called me to work she was laughing because my granddaughter almost duplicated what my son had done many years ago. As I write this I took a moment to just remember and it seemed it was yesterday when that happened. Well my son is now 28 years old and he too laughs everytime I re-tell him this story.

I am so happy that my granddaughters started school, and I hope to one day be the one to tell them stories about important time frames in their lives such as the first day of school, or the time they turned 5 years old. I'm told that tomorrow my son plans to bring my granddaughters to my house complete with a birthday cake so they can celebrate with their grandparents. In my book that means "mi chica" and I are the ones getting the present.

So where ever you are please join me in singing the Happy Birthday song to my little princess.

*Note: I write about grandchildren and tell stories of a long time ago. If based on my posts you are picturing me as an old fart, think again I'm only 46 years old and "mi chica" is only... well 29 of course. And so far he have not one, not two, not three nor four, but five grandchildren, that brighten our daily lives.

3 comments:

Battlerocker said...

Happy birthday to the little one.

Nikki Darling said...

Too bad I won't be here...tell her Happy Birthday for me and save me a piece of cake!

(not really, I don't like cake =)

Dwayne said...

My kids don't want to come home! What am I doing wrong?

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants