Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Karaoke to Go!

One of the activities that we were looking forward to on our cruise was to karaoke. We found out that the first karaoke night was the same Monday we boarded and it would start at around 9:30 p.m. My sister and I decided to give it a shot and so we hit the song lists and soon I found the song that I wanted to sing to "mi chica". "I Love the Way You Love Me" by John Michel Montgomery was my only choice for the night.

Both my sister and I must had sung pretty decent because they asked us to come back Thursday night for karaoke with a twist dubbed "Rock e-okie". Eight of us were going to be the show as we performed a pre-selected song to be backed by the band. I thought it would be fun but must admit I felt a little nervous, when I qualified on Tuesday night, that was only my second public karaoke appearance and now I was going to sing with a band and all.

Thursday night I was awesome... ok maybe not awesome but good... ok maybe good is not the word, how was I supposed to know that I missed my queue to start singing, shit, miss one little tiny note and the whole first verse vanished in front of me. Luckily my supporters sang loud enough for me to find my way and redeem myself. See I chose a song that I had never sang before so I didn't know half the lyrics, but I pretended pretty good. The crowd was roaring while I was singing "I have friends in low places, where the whiskey drowns and the beer chases my blues away, and I'll be OK", I'm pretty smart because I chose a song that I knew half or more than half the audience was going to sing along and it worked... At least that's what I have been telling myself.

All said and done, the show came out pretty good, the eight of us sang our songs, shared our 15 minutes of glory and came home with an extra shirt and key chain, yes that's what we won for our efforts, the nice thing about the show is that it was not a competition but a performance so there were not winners or losers. As a show closer we all sang our rendition of "Hey Jude" by The Beatles, the crowd really loved it.

So Saturday night we are driving back to Phoenix and as we made our last gas stop in Quartzite we saw that there were more people than usual, we heard loud music and even saw people dancing. As I'm pumping gas my daughter comes back and tells me that they are having karaoke. I finished with the gas and parked the van, went into the store to use the men's room and when I came out the first thing I hear is "And our next performer is from Phoenix and is traveling so please forgive us for letting him sing first". Wow that guy must have some pull I thought, and then the voice in the microphone said, "Please give it up for Jose". My jaw must have dropped about 5 inches or so, I turned around looked at my daughter and she said, "We found your song so please sing it for my mom". So once again I sang my rendition or "I Love the Way You Love Me" by John Michael Montgomery to a crowd that was mostly country and that really appreciated my singing... or at least that's what I keep telling myself.

That was kind of a charmin ending to a great vacation week.

7 comments:

La Bella Lady said...

Hey, Mister! You took one of my very-few kereoke songs. But I'll bet you sang it alot better than I do. Was there any rancheras?

Miladysa said...

lol! You have to record it and post it on the blog now! :]

Erin said...

That is so cool! I would never have the guts to do that!!!

By the way, I have friends in low places is one of my very favorite songs - especially done in a Karaoke way with me being drunk and all, lol.

Seriously, that is so cool that you did that!

Chely said...

Your memory although almost accurate sometimes is a little off.

"We found out that the first karaoke night was the same Friday we boarded..." Didn't we board on Monday the 25th or did I miss a weekend?

All kidding aside, your rendition of I Have Friends in Low Places was a blast! Every time I watch the video (yes, there's video, which I'll try to post) I still crack up at how you flipped the sweat off your forehead when you finished your song.

Karaokeing was definitely a highlight.

Elena said...

Te me estas volviendo todo un experto en kareoke.
Ojalá podamos preparar algo tu y yo
love ya

MrManuel said...

You have cojones senor! I wanted to do Karaoke on the ship, but I was not brace enough.

Jose said...

lovely lori - Unfortunately no rancheras, I would have liked to sing an Alejandro Fernandez or Pepe Aguilar song. I think I do pretty good on those.

miladysa - I'm sure my sister will find a way of embarrassing me by posting it soon.

erin - Hey my sister did buy me a shot of tequila before I sang, maybe that's why I almost crush and burn. Luckily I had "friends in low places" and family supporting me so it went well.

Chely - I knew you would find a way to get back at me on that one. I corrected it because it was Monday night. The sweat came from being under the spot lights. wink wink.

Elena - Yo se que vamos a encontrar una cancion para cantar juntos.

Mr Manuel - What a shot of tequila will accomplish. he he he

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants