Tuesday, November 07, 2006

How Can You Not Like It?

I love country music, and I'm MEXICAN!, I sing country music too with a MEXICAN accent to boot (so Mushy if you didn't understand Carrie Underwood, I have no chance in hell), but what the hell is all in good fun.

So how is it that a Disco Kid learned to appreciate Country Music?

Well it was supposed to be a phase, it wasn't supposed to last but in my case it did. First there was "Saturday Night Fever", then "Thank God It's Friday", and then all of a sudden a twist in music throws us "Urban Cowboy" with John Travolta looking for love in all the wrong places. We are all wearing baggy pants, cowboy boots, and John Wayne shirts with little string ties around our necks. Yes, we were all turned into Urban Cowboys doing line dancing and the "bull shit" dance, remember that one "Bull Shit 1, 2, 3, bull shit 1, 2, 3".

Mickey Gilley was my favorite cotnry singer, to this day I know most of his songs which I'm preparing to karaoke next time I go out. Kenny Rogers with "The Gambler" and "The Coward of the County" and later on Willy the man. I was too young to go into "Gilleys" in Anaheim but the fashion made it into the discotheque even though no Country Music was played at the disco.

Later on I discovered Alabama, George Strait, Vince Gill, The Oakridge Boys, Randy Travis, The Judds (we saw them in concert at the Universal Amphitheathre) with Earl Thomas Conley Jr., and many others. With the exception of Willy Nelson I skipped the outlaws there music was to rough for my taste. And now there's a whole new generation of singers I like. Garth Brooks and "Friends in Low Places" was played in radio stations that had nothing to do with country music, he was that cool. Travis Tritt, John Michael Montgomery, Rascal Flats, Faith Hill, Shannia Twain, Montgomery Gentry just to name a few are among my favorites, and my country music library is pretty extensive.

So, Urban Cowboy came and went, but my love for the music remained. Those darn leather cowboy boots I bought for $200.00 back in 1980 are still standing in my closet today. (Hey Mushy how about that, my boots are "Standing the Test of Time")

So there, who knows next year they'll say at the CMAs and the best Country Music Karaoke singer is...

... and the winner is -- JOE COOL!

5 comments:

Chely said...

It is interesting to read your Country Music evolution. I remember every single detail of the attire you wore back in the 80's.

I remember when Raul, Ade, Meno & Yolie used to go to the County Club and would bring back those "Line Dance" steps to us. Of course we'd learn them and would dance them anytime we'd have a party/get together.

I remember being infected with the great music back then. I was being exposed to it and Kenny Rogers was definitely my favorite. To this day, his is the only Country Music CD I own. I loooooove "The Devil Came Down From Georgia"!

So, I would blame my lack of country music knowledge to the fact that I am not exposed to it here in L.A.

Hey, I have a great idea. You can give me a collection of your favorites for Christmas!

There, I just saved you the headache of coming up with a present for me:)

Lana said...

I love Country music. Josh Turner is my Fav. I love his deep voice.
I go to Country USA when it is here 5 days full of Country music. I have Hispanic friends who hate it.
But when they are in my car they will listen to it like it or not.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

I like some country, you can't help but like the tear jerking ballads, but blues and blues based rock is my preference!

You'll see in my latest post what really turns my crank!

Elena said...

Pues mira... a mi me a gustado country music siempre, aunque no soy fanatica me gusta, me gusta.

Erin said...

Wow, I learn something new about you everytime I stop by... lol, a mexican singing country music. Now that is something I MUST check out one day, lol.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants