Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Watching You - Mijo

I hardly ever listen to the radio while driving, mostly I play my CD's. I just can't stand all the morning show anymore, lots of talking that just doen't interest me one bit.

The other day the CD I was listening to had played about three times already and I didn't have anotherone handy so I decided to eject it from the player and just endure the next 20 minutes to work with the radio.

These days it's tuned to Camel Country, one of the two country music stations here in Phoenix and a song immediately started playing. This song caught my attention immediately, it talked about a father driving with his 4-year old son and it made me go back in time to when I used to drive my son all over the place.

Take a minute and read the lyrics, you don't have to like country music to enjoy and maybe relate to what the lyrics say.

I BEEN WATCHING YOU
(Rodney Atkins)

Driving through town just my boy and me
With a happy meal in his booster seat
Knowing that he couldn't have the toy
Till his nuggets were gone
Green traffic light turned straight to red
I hit my brakes and mumbled under my breath
As fries went flying and his orange drink covered his lap
Well then my four year old said a four letter word
That started with "s" and I was concerned
So I said son now where did you learn to talk like that

CHORUS ONE

He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are
We got cowboy boots and camo pants
Yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad
I wanna do everything you do
So I've been watching you

We got back home and I went to the barn
I bowed my head and I prayed real hard
Said Lord please help me help my stupid self
Then this side of bedtime later that night
Turning on my son's Scooby Doo nightlight
He crawled out of bed and he got down on his knees
He closed his little eyes, folded his little hands
And spoke to God like he was talking to a friend
And I said son where'd you learn to pray like that

CHORUS TWO

He said I've been watching you dad, ain't that cool
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are
We Like fixing things and holding mama's hand
Yeah we're just alike, hey ain't we dad
I wanna do everything you do
So I've been watching you

BRIDGE

With tears in my eyes I wrapped him in a hug
Said my little bear is growing up
He said but when I'm big I'll still know what to do

CHORUS THREE

Cause I've been watching you dad, aint' that cool
I'm your buckaroo, I wanna be like you
And eat all my food and grow as tall as you are
Then I'll be as strong as you and Superman
We'll be just alike, hey won't we dad
When I can do everything you do
Cause I've been watching you

The song took me back to those years when I used to take him to Disneyland once a year just him and I. To those years when I made sure he went to his little league practices. To those years when he and I used to go to the Hot Rod Car shows, particularly to the one Low Rider Car show where he took a picture with his favorite model and had a smile that extended from one cheek to the other.

However the irony about this song is that my son and I are so different in almost every aspect.

He likes hamburgers, I like tacos.
He's a Chevy guy, I like Fords
He loves sports, I can't stand sports
I support local team, he's all over the place
He cheers for his team, I for the cheer leaders

Yes, I really go againt him on everything... that doesn't matter too much, because on the things that really matter in life he knows I'm there just like I know he's there for me. I have been fortunate to have my son's love and I too love him to death.

So maybe he didn't grow to be like me but thre's nothing wrong with that. I'm happy and proud that he just grew up to be my dear son.

Love ya, mijo

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate country with a passion, but you are right, the lyrics are very nice.

La Bella Lady said...

1) Being born in Texas is a must that I love country. Being Latin, it's a must Ilove evry other type of music aswell. Therefore I have heard this song before and it took me back for a minute to my mom's kindest moments when she too would get me all dressed up so as we can go buy my Happy Meal.

2) Being that you are the other 1 of my 2 readers, you already know how much love I have for my very own son. Your words bring enjoyment to my heart. Evry night, Branden & I share our toughts about our day, and enjoy eachother's company. I hope that doesn't change any time soon.

Anonymous said...

Aww!

*tear tear*!

So cute dad. Leave it to you to find your story in every song =D! Thats the glory of them, no?

Love you,

Nikki

Michelle said...

I second those tears!!!

That song is adorable... at least the lyrics are... I haven't heard it yet but I know I will as soon as you get it, cuz you will.

Makes me wanna cry!

Anonymous said...

Awwwwwwwwww (sniff sniff)

I sooooo did not feel like crying tonight ;) That was just wonderful!

Elena said...

Tercera en lagrimas.

Es cierto que sus gustos no se paresen mucho, me consta, pero hay algo en lo que son identicos, como dos gotas de agua, y es en el amor que se tienen uno al otro, amor incondcional que es mas importante que cualquier otra cosa en el mundo.

I love both of you guys.

Unknown said...

The only time I listen to Country is when my hubby turns on the radio. Like you I also listen to CDs when I'm driving by myself, but I like Smooth Jazz and good old Rock'n'Roll. That's the only time I can sing real loud and no one minds.

Thank you for your kind comments about my hubby. You are the best, Jose!

Cheers!

Chely said...

Ay F_de,

I'm going to have to download the song so I can listen to it. The words are so endearing.

There is no doubt that God works in misterious ways. He blessed you with a son 20+ years ago and how awesome is that?

Both of you are a big inspiration in my life. Juan and I have a special bond that I will never let go of and you continue to teach us that in this life, "family unity" is very important. Thank you for reminding us of this as often as you do.

I love both of you guys:)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants