Thursday, September 27, 2007

Fogata Nortena

There's an old Mexican tradition that mostly happens in small towns in Mexico. People used to have a "Nocheada" (an overnighter) or a "fogata" (a fire or camp fire). In either one of this, family and friends gather around the fire and they get out the wooden guitars, start passing the tequila and beer and basically spend the whole night singing, obviously the more people drink the better the singing, errh or at least that's premise.

Being a city boy all my life and leaving Mexico when I was only 12, I did not get to experience them but movies and TV documentaries highlight "nocheadas" as a fun happy time to be with your friends and express your feelings with music. No one cares if you don't know how to sing, actually every one sings at the same time so if you don't know the song it's still OK, no one will notice.

"Do you remember such and such song? Do you know it? Let's sing that one next" every one seems to take turns at this phrase, I did however have some cousins that pretended they could play the guitar and we did have our home made version of a "nocheada" back in Mexico many, many years ago.

So surfing through YouTube I was listening to some songs I like and I found this one by Ana Barbara that exemplifies the idea of a nocheada or fogata, some of the end scenes show them sitting and singing around one. In this particular song she'll be joined by her sister and brother, none of them professional singers but yet they can carry a tune and in my opinion actually sounded very good together. This song is totally accoustic. Ana Barbara is in fact famous and her music sell very well.

Here is the song, hope you all like it.

4 comments:

MrManuel said...

I've never heard of that tradition, but it sounds like ufn. Sit around a fire, sing, and drink tequila? How can you go wrong?!?!

Tina said...

I do not unterstand it, but it´s sound really good. I remember, ten years ago, me and my friends around the fire. We did it often, had much fun together. Good Tradition. :-)

Tara said...

Sounds very pretty Jose.

Elena said...

Soloel que ha vivido una experiencia de esas puede entender lo que es sentarse ante una fogata y ponerse a cantar, no importa si bien o mal, lo importante es convivir y pasar un buen rato junto a familiares y amigos, de hecho, Ana Barbara y sus hermanos cantan muy bien todos.
Muy padre.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants