Sunday, March 09, 2008

Jr's Birthday Weekend


Birthday boy on top of the world.


Friday night around 8:00 p.m. we waited for my sister in law and her three kids, once she got here and we had a quick stop to gas up the van we headed towards Phoenix to pick up my grandson "Ducky". We finally got in the freeway at around 8:30 p.m. and headed towards Tucson. We decided to go later because that way we wouldn't catch all the bumper to bumper Friday afternoon traffic. It was a smart move because in fact traffic had already died down. It should only takes us two hours to get to Tucson.

The kids were watching a movie in the back of the van, so they didn't even bug also no stops were made on the way over which for us is not normal as we always stop anywhere and everywhere. We got to Marana and all of a sudden traffic comes to a halt, there was an accident about a mile ahead and this being a two lane highway had to be closed while they cleaned it up. So our projected two hour trip all of a sudden turned into a three hour trip since we were stuck for almost an hour.

We finally got there at around 11:00 p.m. Immediately the kids got busy playing and making all kinds of noise, me I just got hungry so I asked Jr. to go with me to find some tacos. We had to go a few miles from his house and finally found a taco truck, we ordered tacos for everyone but when we got back to their house and opened them up we found out they ripped us off. The tacos were pretty tasty but made of only one small tortilla and you can barely see the meat, they were basically a bite and a half size tacos. Needless to say we all complained.

Jr. had called "mi chica" and asked for us to go visit them because it was his birthday, he asked if she would make "pozole" form him which my daughter loves to eat, so Saturday morning we all had a great tasting bowl of "pozole".

I had told them that the next time we visit I wanted to go see the San Xavier Mission, everyone thought that would be nice so after we ate we loaded the cars and off we went. One of my daughter's best friends, her husband, and two kids also wanted to go visit the mission so they asked her if she would mind if they joined us, of course she said no and so they too got there on Friday night, luckily they were ahead of us for about half an hour, enough for them not to get caught in the accident.



When we got to the mission the Indians were charging for parking, I thought that was weird but soon learned that they were having a pow wow. I have heard that the Indian's pow wows are really a sight to see but at $8:00 a person we decided to pass it up. We parked the cars and headed for the mission.














You don't have to be a Catholic to visit or and appreciate the beauty of this old church. Just knowing some of it's history and knowing it is so old give it a certain charm. My camera captured 171 images through the whole weekend but I think it's safe to say that over a hundred were taken at the mission.



















Right next to the mission there is a small hill, to get to the top you have to climb it's rocky wall, the kids even the little ones had a ball going up, they didn't think it was dangerous or hard they just climbed and got to the top before I could say "wait for me".

























The view from the top was breath taking and the photo ops were, endless. From little caves to rocky tops we had the kids posing all over for pictures, but as always all this exercise and excitement got us hungry so we went down and headed for the food stands. The ever popular Indian bread was what we ordered. I had to have the one with honey and cinnamon, but they also order the one with beans and cheese.





We spent a good three hours at the mission, but it was time to head back to the house, part of Jr's birthday celebration was for my sister in law to make "enchiladas" for us. I have to tell you, my sister in laws enchiladas are the best. I was so tired from our outing that I joined the kids in taking a nap. The girls took this opportunity to go out and hit the stores for some shopping.

The plan was to come back to Phoenix Saturday night but "mi chica" whom is the designated driver was too tired and so the decision was for us to spend the night there and we would leave Sunday morning. So everyone except "mi chica" and I decided to play some board games, all I could hear was the screaming as they were having fun.


Thanks to Jr and Michelle for having us, we had a great weekend.


Sunday morning after a nice hot shower I loaded the van we put the kids in, we said goodbye to Jr, Michelle, Diego, and Allayna and we headed back for Phoenix. I had told "mi chica" on Friday night that her van was vibrating sign of a tire getting bad. So before we left I kindda looked a them and saw nothing bad that was visible. We got on the freeway and I advised her not to drive too fast. She didn't really heard me so we pushed on. Half ways to Phoenix we stopped at a McDonalds to have breakfast.

Back on the freeway again, she was barely starting to gain speed when noise comes
from the rear left side of the van, she made it to the shoulder and my sister in law gets off and tells us, yeap we have a flat. Well, not really a flat she said but definitely not good. We were exactly 1/4 of a mile from a truck stop so I told "mi chica" to stay on the shoulder and drive to the truck stop, she said it was a lot
safer to work there than on the shoulder where 18 wheelers going 75 miles per hour.

As we parked at the truck stop I said, you know what, God works in mysterious ways. If we would have left last night this would have happened anyway and it would have been so much inconvenient not to mention dangerous. There was a reason why when we decided to stay the night no one fought it.

We called our daughter to let her know we were on the way and she said her and her husband were going to the mall in Tempe. So we told her we would wait for them at the 40th street and Broadway exit. They got there about five minutes after we did. So they took "Ducky" changed his clothes in the van, transferred the baby car seat and took him with them. We continued our trip to the house. Nothing compares the feeling to coming to your own house, no matter how much fun the outing was. A few minutes later my sister in law and kids were picked up and we just relaxed for the rest of our Sunday.

9 comments:

Erin said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend as usual with your family! That is a good thing you didn't leave Saturday night!!

The church is gorgeous, I have only seen pictures of the outside, so that was a real treat :)

Elena said...

Se ve que esta bonito por allá. Me estan dando ganas de ir.

Michelle said...

Dad you changed a tire! I'm so proud! LOL

But the trip was fun! I had a great weekend. I really thought it was farther from our house. Haha 15 minutes away! I told my mom "Next time you wanna take such a long trip please warn me ahead of time because my feet need to stay elevated."

So anyways I got the number to the church and I am gonna inquire about getting the baby baptized there. It's really pretty.

So when's the next trip? And where?

Here's my suggestion:
Tlaquepaque (That's where I wanted to go on our honeymoon) OR Dana Point California to see the San Juan Capistrano Mission (That was choice number one for my honeymoon but couldn't because of the lack of money) But seeing that our 1st anniversary is coming up in May... we want to go to either one.

MrManuel said...

The trip looks like it was fun. Tacos at 11:00 pm had to be the best part!

Jose said...

ec - Hey I went crazy with the pictures on this post but knew you would appreciate them. It is a beautiful church.

elena - Pasamos ahi como unas tres horas, tomamos fotos hasta cansarnos y nos divertimos bien padre.

michelle - Of course I know how to change a tire, but you must agree with me, before I had Jr and Lolo and I am the greatest delegator.

As for our next trip, your mom and I want to go to Sedona and take a ride in an open airplane, you have to wear leathers and a leather helmet to protect you from the wine.

mr manuel - We actually had to wait until past midnight for the tacos, and yes there were tasty but they ripped us off. The tacos were tiny. Two bites and they were gone.

Michelle said...

LOL yes you're a great delegator!

Well Tlaquepaque is in Sedona! I hear it's gorgeous there especially in the springtime! I say we try and plan a weekend up there like in May? Since that's my anniversary.

Wanda said...

You have the best family trips ~~ I loved all the pictures ~~ even the messed up tire!!

What memories your family makes together~~ Love it.

Jose said...

wanda - Yes, that is something we love to do together. It's fun creating these memories and the kids love it. My sister always critized the fact that we take forever to get from point A to point B, we always tell her that for us the getting there is half the fun.

Chely said...

Wow! First of all, I am impressed at the fact that you actually wrote a LONG post. I think you are finally learning something from me! LOL

Second - Your trips sound like a lot of fun. But then again, you guys have always been adventurous like that. Remember the outings you guys used to have when you were a part of the CB Radio Club?

Third - The Mission looks beautiful! I love going to places like that.

Fouth - You guys are blessed. The tire looked pretty bad. Among all the good luck, good thing it was not the front tire!

Les deceo muchas mas salidas tan padres como estas=D

Besitos…

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants