Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Day 1


Day 1


It felt as I did not sleep at all and yet the alarm clock was waking my butt up early in the morning. Actually I woke up at the same time I wake up every work day so it wasn't too bad.

After a nice warm shower (the last shower in almost two weeks) I put my luggage in the van and mi chica heads to my mom's to pick her up. My sister and niece joined us shortly after and 6:30 a.m. we head towards the airport. Even though there was no traffic as it was Memorial Day my brother in law somehow decided to follow the wrong van, so we got to the airport and he was no where to be found. We called him on the cellular and fifteen minutes later we are all together again.


My mom, me, and my niece, enjoying our flight. They day of getting fed on a plane are over. On this flight we received a little bag of pretzels and a soda in a can. Ummmm yummy!

You must know that if you are traveling with my mom, if they say you must be there three hours in advance for an international flight, she wants to be there three and half-hours before. So we were in for a long wait, the flight was scheduled for 10:00 a.m. but it didn’t take off until 10:30 a.m. Fortunately enough it was an uneventful flight and two hours and forty-five minutes we were touching down in Mexico City.












We left sunny Phoenix at 10:00 a.m. and arrived in rainy Mexico City at 3:30 p.m.



After a few minutes in the airport we finally got done with customs and got out. Our welcoming party was there as promised to pick us up. A long time friend of ours whom we met back in 1975, his sister and a friend of theirs showed up on two SUVs ready to take us to their house in Cuernavaca, Morelos. It was raining when we got there but after half an hour into our road trip we left the rain behind.

A few minutes later the second SUV pulled to the side of the road and we too stopped to see what was going on. My niece not used to the smog and the smell of cars that don't have emissions equipment got really dizzy and pale. There was a pharmacy less than a mile away and we purchased some medicine and then continued on our trip.

We finally got to Cuernavaca at around 6:00 p.m. and by this time we were all starving, all we have had was coffee. We went to this small restaurant to eat some tacos. OK I ordered tacos but the rest ate quesadillas and menudo and the salsas were so hot and tasty that we kept asking for more.












"Tacos al Pastor" and "Menudo" -- The only thing we had in our stomachs was a bag of pretzels, a soda, and the morning coffee. Needless to say, I ordered about seven tacos and they tasted like heaven.



Here we are, enjoying or tasty tacos.


The idea was to spend the night in Curnavaca where my uncle would pick us up the next day but some how my uncle had to go to a nearby town that day and he showed up to pick us up the same day. We had to excuse ourselves with our friends, as this was unplanned and had to leave them the very same day.



Scenes from streets of Cuernavaca, Morelos -- Mexico.



A gazebo in our friend's house patio.


After some coffee we got on my uncle's truck and hit the road again. Because it was late at night and the roads are pretty dangerous they decided to take a longer route. Finally at almost 1:00 a.m. in the morning.


Having coffee before leaving for the last leg of the trip.


My aunt was still up and not surprisingly enough with food ready for us. There we are at almost 2:00 a.m. in the morning eating "mole rojo" with bean and green chili tamales. A few minutes later we finally hit the sack with plans of waking up early to start visiting our family.

12 comments:

Chely said...

Awww, poor Marya. She got car sick. That's terrible! I remember how bad those emissions smell. Yuck!

That was a long time without eating. That must have been terrible for you. LOL

You'd figure that my Tia Alfonsa would have food ready at any time.
"Hospitality" is always to be expected, while visiting Mexico.

The pictures look cool. Looking forward to more=D

Besitos,

Jose said...

chely - Actually she got car sick all the time. In Guerrero because of the never ending winding roads and in the city because of the horrible smell.

You are right, by the time we got to Cuernavaca we were starving. And then by the time we got to Santa Maria we were hungry again. Thakfully tia Alfonsa hooked us up with some awesome midnight food.

Michelle said...

Wow sound long and tiring! I would hate to go from plane to car to car...ugh. Poor Marya I can see why she got sick!

Pictures are pretty! Can't wait to hear and see more!

Jose said...

michelle - It was smoggy because Mexico City always is, but it was also cloudy. Yeah, they are not too tough on emissions there.

Wanda said...

Oh my goodness Jose, I'm so hungry for Mexican food right now.....!!
Loving the tour...

Anonymous said...

Hola Fide.
Extrañe tus blogs pero por fin puedo enterarme de como les fue porque mi mami no es muy explicita. Y de verdad pobre Marya pero yo no se como no se enferma cuando ella maneja porque una vez queriamos ir a un lago aqui en Arizona y nos tuvimos que regresar a medio camino porque ella se puso muy mal.
Gracias por las fotos y la historia espero mucho mas.
Tu hermana
Ade.

Jose said...

wanda - The food got better and better. I truly believe I gained a few pounds.

ade - Elena compro medicina que le quitaba lo mareada pero la mandaba a dormir.

Tara said...

Your Mom sounds like me...I would be there 3 and a half hours before too :)

Looks like a great trip!

Jose said...

tara - Yeah, my mom just hates taking chances. The trip was great!

Anonymous said...

I feel the excitement come back as you write again - what a fun and eventful first day!!

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

You look to be enjoying your flight...I had a horrible experience this week sitting on the tarmac in Chicago!

Why are the roads dangerous...condition or bandedos!

Jose said...

erin - The whole trip was fun and exciting but tiring as well. The first day allowed me to take in stuff I had not seen in many years.

mushy - The flight was very uneventful, great conditions from beginning to end. As for the roads, just a couple of years ago they didn't have any, they are sort of impromptu roads, some areas have been paved but in other areas it's all dirt. The roads are dangerous becuse they run by the edge of the mountain, falling off those cliffs would definitely mean good by world.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants