Monday, October 06, 2008

Ode To My Father

He was never my friend, but he was my role model, my hero, the one I wanted to be like, my guide, my advisor, my lender, my bank, my spiritual advisor, my world. I could never go against him, or talk back to him, I was afraid to disappoint him, and I wanted to please him, some claim I look like him, some claim I act like him but I don't think so. We were so different and yet I think I am like him in many ways. But if in fact I am at least a little tiny bit like him, then I am a happy man. Though I miss him dearly physically, I know he is always with me, and his memory will live with me forever and ever. No, he was never my friend, I am just happy he was always my father.

Dad passed four years ago today, but his legacy will live for ever.


Me posing with my dad. Christmas 2003

8 comments:

Betty F said...

A beautiful tribute to your father Joe. I'm sorry for your loss.

Unknown said...

SOUnds like a wonderful man!

Anonymous said...

That was so sweet Jose - I'm sure you miss him greatly :(

Chely said...

I love reading posts like these.

I'm sure our daddy is looking down at us still feeling that he is not worthy. He was a very humble man.

I, like you was afraid to disappoint him. I did once and I will never forget the expression on his face as he gave me one of those long talks he was known for.

Nope, after that, I never wanted him to be unhappy with me. His approval on everything I did was what I always preferred to receive.

I miss my daddy very much and often wonder what he would have said about all of the technology around us, if he'd only understood it?

I'm glad his legacy lives on in his kids and grandkids.

Papi, lo quiero MUCHO.

Besitos,

Chely

Elena said...

Cada uno de sus hijos tenemos una percepcion de lo que fue para nosotros, a diferencia tuya para mi, como lo exprese en el poema que escribi para el lo considere mi padre, mi maestro, mi amigo,siempre para todos.
Lo seguimos extanando papi pero si n embargo siempre esta con nosotros.

ChrisJ said...

Such a great tribute to your father, Jose. Though I have inherited many of hmy father's characteristics, overall my memories are not happy. I'm thankful for his good traits, and have had to work hard with the Lord's help to overcome some of the others. He was just a very difficult man to live with. We were somewhat of a dysfunctional family, which is why I will ALWAYS be there for my sons be they in their forties or sixties. I am so thankful I have that relationship with them. I think that's one of the reasons I like your blog -- the real family closeness that is so evident.

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Good shots of good times with your dad Jose...you'll always have memories of those times and they will comfort you.

Anonymous said...

Hugs and good thoughts to you today.

That was beautiful.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants