Thursday, July 20, 2006

The Heat Wave

I live in the Valley of the Sun, so for us here in the Phoenix area the sun and it’s heat is a way of life, we learn how to live with it and deal with it as well. Most of our homes and cars are equipped with AC units this makes the heat a little bit more tolerable. We are now in the middle of summer and 110+ degree-days are a daily occurrence.

There’s no way we would survive the extreme heat if we didn’t have AC, or at the very least a swamp cooler and yet some renters have to deal with landlords that do not comply with the law and provide them with good working units. I can’t begin to think how unbearable this would be.

I have lived here in the valley since my family and I left Los Angeles back in 1990 and have no regrets about moving. Phoenix was a smaller city and it was a better place to raise our three kids, so the heat was just a little inconvenience. “Arizona… But it’s a dry heat” is how the saying goes, and for the most part it’s true but the monsoon season has started and with it comes the humidity.

You would think that knowing how hot it gets I would have my car’s AC in good working condition… Not! For the past six years it’s actually been broken and I’m pretty much used to it but then there are days like yesterday, that the temperature must have gone up to about 115 degrees which means that inside my car it was probably about 120 degrees or so. I swear I thought my car was a sauna and I wouldn’t be surprised if I lost a few pounds in the half an hour commute going home. Really cars with no AC should have the right of way at all times.

I was watching the news and there was a segment on “illegal emigration”, they were highlighting these people that think they’ll beat the heat while attempting to cross the desert, and I just could not comprehend what makes a person think that they may be able to beat the wrath of the blazing sun, desperation is one thing but stupidity is something entirely different.

So as I hear that there’s a heat wave going on across the country all I can do is hope that your homes are equipped to handle the heat. I feel for you if you live in a state with high humidity. In our case I think it’s only six or seven weeks max of this weather and then we should be home free. In the meantime attack the swimming pool or at the very least the garden water hose and stay cool.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

My niece from Kentucky wanted to know why we are all "white" here in Texas (not tan). I explained that we don't go OUT IN THE SUN...we go from AC to AC to AC!

AC is so freakin' necessary. Our electric bill was $500 last month. Yeah, it's a lot, but it's well worth the comfort.

Jose said...

Trust me bex, we are no strangers to that kind of electrcity bill, in our case add the swimming pool motors and you are looking at a college tuition slipping through our fingers.

Michelle said...

LOL. I agree dad, cars with no AC should have the right of way at all times! Because the dumb AC in our car only works when we're doing 65 on the freeway!

Anonymous said...

Well, let me tell you...

As most of you know, I live in "Sunny California" and last Tuesday, the heat was up to 104 degrees!

I know that's not much for you guys. But, one - we are not used to this, two - It's very humid here and three - I don't have air conditioning at home! So, the picture you displayed of the doggie in front of the fan...That's us:(
Needless to say, Thalia, April & I are all suffering from swollen tonsils.

To top it off, my bathroom doesn't have insulation! Therefore, in the mornings when I'm putting on my makeup and it's melting away, I can hardly wait to get to work!
Yea! It’s hard to believe, but I count the minutes until I get there.

Then, to cool down once I'm there...I read your BLOBBB.

Besitos,

Michelle said...

Well Tia Chely... why don't you ever read mine?

http://www.diegosmama.blogspot.com
http://domesticated-goddess.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Dear Michelle,

I have been reading yours! I've been keeping up to date. However, I CAN'T post any comments because your Blog is not set up for it!

Every time I post something, it tells me that it failed.

I've been attempting to Email you to inform you as well and your Email doesn't work! I can not connect with you:(

Email me so that I can verify your address.

Nikki Darling said...

I know I always see you come home all wet and sweaty and stuff but for some reason, reading that you have to endure the 83758435783 degree weather makes me sad! Lol we MUST get u either an AC unit....or just buy u a new mustang...either works for me! =) So long as me and Loyiel get to keep the current mustang, of course!

Nikki Darling said...

Oh yeah, and what "bex" said up there made me laugh =)

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants