Wednesday, September 13, 2006

My Money Isn't Going Down the Drain

I don't understand why if you pay for cable you watch regular TV. If I'm paying for cable I'm going to watch shows on cable and I'm going to watch movies, lots of them. I read many blogs and I came to the conclusion that many of you will blog about TV shows that air on the regular channels and yet I see no posts at all on show that air on cable.

In this "mi chica" and I are soooooo divided. She watches nothing but regular TV, and I always ask "What do you want cable for if you are not going to watch it?" In her van she has a CD player, which until very recently my car didn't have one, well again all she listens to is the radio. Me on the other hand listen to nothing but CDs.

Because I'm a biker of sorts I watch every motorcycle show that the "Discovery Channel" airs. "Motorcycle Mania" with Jesse James, "American Choppers", or the "Biker Build Off" series. It's like I just can't get enough of these shows. There's more drama in these shows than in many of the network shows and these fools don't even get paid for their acting except maybe a tool set or welding kit. How can the producers go wrong?

Another favorite of mine is "Miami Ink"; I get a kick of how many people get tattooed just to see if they make the show. Tattoos are like Low Riders; once they hit the mainstream everyone is doing it. I remember growing up, if you rode a Harley and had tattoos you were a bad ass, and if you drove a Low Rider then you must have been a cholo, gangbanger, or troublemaker. Now we have a show that glorifies tattoos and everyone wants them. Where I work almost every woman has a tattoo, while none of the men do, talk about role reversal. Anyway, when it comes to entertainment this show rocks, but it still has not talked me into tattooing my body. My daughter tells me I will not be "real" biker until I get a tattoo. Well I settle for being a biker period.

And for my car show fix, there's "American Hot Rodder" and "Overhaulin'". Boyd Coddington has been around for a long time and is pretty much well known in the Hot Rod customizing world. Chip Foose has not been around as long as Boyd, but hell, homey really knows how to customize a car. And to humor my daughters idea of a car customizing show I also watch MTV's "Pimp My Ride".

Well as you can see, I do watch TV but if I'm paying for cable I'm watching cable, now if "The Discovery Channel" and "TLC" were regular network channels, maybe I wouldn't need cable.

4 comments:

Elena said...

Estoy de acuerdo contigo, yo siempre veo TV regular y los unicos canales de cable son el de la comida y el de what no to wear, si esos canales estuvieran el TV reg. no tendria nada que ver en el cable pero mi yerno no puede vivir sin cable por sus sports y otros programas que no pasan en la TV. De todos modos me parese un desperdicio de dinero porque yo soy como un sr. que dijo(no recuedo su nombre)"la television es muy educativa...cada vez que alguien prende el televisor, me voy a otro cuarto y leo un libro".

Chely said...

When I was younger, I watched Telenovelas religiously. They were exciting and I apreciate that fact that, to this day, they have a beginning and an end. However, I can only watch Cinderella get her prince 20 times.

I moved on to cable after I married because my husband also enjoys watching sports and movies. For a while there, regular television just didn't offer any shows that would capture my attention. I always tried to coax my dad into getting cable because there is just so much variety there but he preferred the news and the Novelas instead. I never convinced him.

Regular Networks now-a-days, are bettering their programming. I must say that I now watch and have favorite shows in both cable and regular TV.

CABLE - HGTV, E, Style Network, Nat'l Geographic & LATV

REG'L TV - Dancing with the stars, Survivor, American Idol, Lost, CSI & House

Now, I am still planning tattooing MELO on my ankle. Just, as soon as I find the right font.

MrManuel said...

I actually watch a lot of shows on cable, but they don't get mentoned in my tv posts as much because many don't have seasons in quite the same way that network shows do. We watch tons of documentaries on Discovery, TLC, Home and Garden, etc. Shows like House Hunters, Dirty Jobs, and Medicle Incredible are always good for some entertainment. However, many don't have that typical, September through May season. It's different. Then there is ESPN, my NBA package, etc. My cable (Directv) does not go to waste for sure. But they are almost all stand alone episodes and not worth mentioning as a new season. Sure there are some shows on cable like that such as Nip/Tuck and Rescue Me, but I don't watch those.

Michelle said...

Well I for one am glad that we have cable in our house. I do love my network TV shows like, American Idol, So You Think You Can Dance, Celebrity Duets, Nanny 911, so on and so forth (I am the biggest reality TV junkie). But other than that my TV lives on MTV when I am watching it (there's not one show that I am not currently watching) or on USA when Jr is watching it (he can't live without LAw and Order or CSI). But most of all Cable is my lifesaver for TWO Words... Disney Channel. And that's all I gotta say about that.

About Tattoos... I am not crazy about them on girls either. But I do want to get a very small one, in an area where it won't be seen much. I am still debating, but one day I would like a small one.

And I still think in order for you to be a rebel you need a Joe Cool tattoo.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants