Wednesday, September 20, 2006

What's For Lunch?

I just came in to work and I'm already wondering what should I have for lunch? Don't you hate those days that even if you don't think about food your stomach does. I am Mexican and have lived in the United States for the past 33 years and I still can't get used to eating hamburgers or pizzas, yes I like them now but if you give me a choice I prefer tacos and tortas with plenty of salsa, and when I mean tacos please don't think that "Yo quiero Taco Bell" is what's on my mind, I don't even know what kind of food that is. The best Mexican food is not the one you find in the nice fancy Mexican restaurants that advertise loudly, the best Mexican food is probably waiting for you to discover it in your friendly neighbourhood hole in the wall little Mexican restaurant that until recently you never payed any attention to. And now that I have tortured myself with the tought of some delicious warm tacos topped with lettuce, onions and lots of hot red salsa let me snap back to reality and let me go to work. Oh and just so you know my lunch hour is still almost four hours away. Arrrrgh!

9 comments:

MrManuel said...

Absolutely! My favorite Mexican food in town is a small restaurant that serves THE BEST tacos al pastor. I mean, it tastes just like it is off the cart in my dad's home town, Tepatitlan. Since I discovered this place, I don't think I have ordered anyting else there. Wonderful tacos. I know what you mean about those big fancy Mexican restauants. Still, I love that El Torito Sunday brunch. It may not be true Mexican, but it is damn good...

Anonymous said...

Estoy de acuerdo contigo en todo pero no me vas a negar que no hay nada mejor que los tacos hechos en casa, acompanados por tu familia y preparados por tu mama, con salsas de tu hermana y sobrina y arroz de tu mujer, en el final de la novela favorita. Mmmmmmmmm.delicioso.
Cuando se termina la proxima?

La Bella Lady said...

One of my three mexican little places is "La Carreta" in south Central LA. When I first began going there I was a mere 15 and it was basicaly a lunch truck out on the corner. They made home made tortillas....Q'rico!!! Now it's an actual building with gorgeous art running through it's heart.
Second is 'Las Marias' in La Puente. It reminds me of mis 'amigas'.
Tird would be the taquero in
Ontario....I'll drive that far just to eat the tacos de buche con
limon. But the cops ran them out. No more tacos for me :(

Anonymous said...

Hey! I made enchiladas for dinner tonight, and I'm Irish! I hope you got your tacos, because denying a craving that strong leads to severe crabbiness.

Lana said...

yummy looks good.
When I was in AZ last week I had my 1st Native Indian taco/
It was yummy.

Anonymous said...

I love Mexican food. I am headed southwest, and the food is one of the things I am looking forward to. And though I am as white as they come, I do like trying my hand at Mexican food in my own kitchen. I am improving. Slowly. :) Good eating.

Chely said...

One of my all time favorites Mexican delicacies are “Tacos de Carne Asada & Carnitas!

We had a tradition at a company I used to work for we called it, “Taco Thursday”. Every week, religiously, one of our co-workers would purchase Tacos from “A Roach Coach” in East Los Angeles. You can NOT get anymore traditional than a roach coach. These are lunch trucks of course.

My boss, (who’s main office was in Minneapolis) would always make a point to be at our Los Angeles office (and not the Irvine office) for “Taco Thursday” when he traveled to California. All of our company staff (7 of us) sat down for Lunch and had a great time talking as we savored our food. We never missed a day in the seven years I worked there! I miss those days.

Last Friday, I went out to Lunch to “Guadalajara Grill” in West Covina with three of my current co-workers. For a fancy restaurant, this place, not only serves GREAT Mexican food but has an awesome Mariachi. One of my co-workers is Chinese and the other Korean; they both told me that outside of their native food, Mexican is their favorite.

So, next time you are in Los Angeles, look up these places and enjoy:)

Jose said...

I think it's safe to say that we all love Mexican food. Enjoy!

DaveKennedy said...

Mexican food rocks! I miss Cali....

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants