Wednesday, October 18, 2006

New Tricks and Old Dogs


The old saying goes, "How do you teach new tricks to an old dog?" so for today that's my dilemma. I have been working for the same company for 16 years and in all those years with the exception of last year we were never encouraged to dress up for Halloween, but all of a sudden a "Fun Squad" was created and now not only do they want us to dress up but we were also asked to decorate a portion of the lunch room with a Halloween motif.

This all sounds like lots of fun but to this day no portions of the wall are decorated and some of the old timers (like me) sometimes fight this new ways, as we are just not used to them. Prizes will be given away to the best costumes and best wall. My department (the warehouse) has been chosen to be the judges for the costume parade, which will take place during lunch on Halloween Day and lunch, will be provided by the company, that in itself should be an incentive. The idea is to mock the judges from "American Idol" so we would have to pretend that we are Randy, Paula, and Simon. Ummm! There are four of us in my department, I wonder who would want to be Paula.

As for the wall, upper management will chose the best decorated area and will award that department with a prize.

So here's the challenge, how do I encourage my team (two of which are my brother in laws and kinda don't like me a whole lot... I think!) to participate? The only one that will follow me on this is my newest employee, who is somewhat younger than us and has a different outlook on things since he has only been working here for the past two years, the rest of us in the warehouse have been here 15 years or more.

Anyone out there that has motivational ideas as to what can I do to have my staff join in the fun will be appreciated. Also ideas on how to decorate the wall are needed, we are a bunch of old timers that lack imagination and to a certain degree motivation, but I think that we can pull it off and actually come up with something great.

What do you think? Help me and my staff win some prizes, send ideas

12 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Ah man...you're on your own on this kind of stuff. I don't do dress up very well.

We once had to do something I work so I hung a CD around my neck and everytime someone asked me what I was I'd pull out my bic, light it, and hold up the CD. "I'm a CD burner! Now leave me alone."

Jose said...

lol -- Thas a good one Mushy, I would have never thought of that. Whos says there isn't talent out there, I knew I could count on you.

Angie said...

Well..I am so not creative, but I love that whole American Idol judges thing. You could volunteer to be Paula and just act drunk/high and say off the wall stuff. ;)

Have you seen those decorations for Halloween that look like a witch hit a wall or a telephone pole? Those are funny..maybe you could do something like that.

Sorry, I'm not much help. :)

Anonymous said...

Baby, how about hiring Michelle and Nichole to help you come up with ideas?

You know I am not that creative so I nominate them.

Love you, Sylvia

Anonymous said...

That sounds like fun tio! I like Ms. Angie's idea. to buy that kind of decorations. but also like my tias idea. i know tampoco im not a good helper. :D Also how are you going to encourage my tios to join....good luck! Love you!

Elena said...

Tal vez podrias hacer algunas criptas con cartoncillo y poner el nombre de algunos de los altos jefes en ellas, o los que te caigan mas gordos.

Podrias poner una inscripccion como: "Aqui yace y yace bien, el/ella descansas y yo tambien" Todo en un ambiente de cementerio con arboles secos, fantasmas volando, gatos negros, con calaveras y todo.
Buena suerte
Buena suerte.

Jose said...

Angie - How funny you mentioned a witch and we happen to have the very one that crashed into a tree. I prefer to be Simon and tell everyone that their coustumes are appalling.

Mi Chica - Good Idea!

Maryita - Michelle and I went to the store and bought some stuff to decorate, and guess what? Your tios are all into it.

Elena - Copre una bolsita que trae como seis cajitas de muerto, pensaba poner el nombre de nosotros en ellas, como somos cuatro me quedarian dos.

Lana said...

You can blow up the picture I had of my front yard and post it on the board LMAO.

Erin said...

Yeah, I'm with the non-creative people, but it does sound like great fun!

Especially Mushy's costume, I laughed out loud at that one :)

Anonymous said...

hey look! i finally got it up!!

um.. the blog..

and candy. bribe them with candy.

Chely said...

It is always good for morale when employees/co-workers participate in activities. I hope you guys have fun with this. I can already see your girls helping you on this. It'll be a piece of cake.

At our Weekly Staff Meeting today, someone suggested for us to dress up as well. Let me tell you, I'm not too thrilled about it but Conrad & Crystal bought me an "American Idol" microphone and I do have a shirt that says, "I'm the Next American Idol", so they figured I can disguise myself as such. I guess this is a continuation of your theme.

However, I LOVED "Mushy's" disguise. I was rolling on the floor laughing. I think I will steal that one from him if I don't use the first!

Happy Halloween to all!!!!

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry that I don't have any good suggestions. But I am amazed that you have two brother's in law on your team. That must be delightfully awkward.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants