Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Health - What a Great Asset

I'm feeling pretty good overall, but when I think about the hassles one has to go through when something happens and the level of care that some medical centers give it kindda makes me sick too.

Last week my brother-in-law whom also happens to work with me had an accident as he was helping unload product from a truck, to make a long story short he tried to save a pallet full of product as it started to collapse. As he reached for it a chain of events happened so quick that before anyone knew it he had fallen from the loading dock into the pit, we are talking a good six to seven feet drop into nothing but hard cement.

I took him to emergency and thank God the x-rays showed no broken bones, but the pain from the impact had left him with no movement and walking was not in the equation. As he is currently taking medication they didn't really want to prescribe anything for the pain other than Tylenol, that is fine as Tylenol has been known to reduce pain. So they asked him what is it that you do at work, he told them he does the receiving for the company, that requires lots of walking, heavy lifting and lots of bending. They told him he could go back to work right away but to try not to lift heavy objects and to try to take it easy. Hello, how can he go back to work when he can't even walk or move his feet?

Hospitals and clinics sometimes make me wonder, my mom goes to the doctor and tells him that she is suffering from this or that and that it has been bugging her for a while, she describes the pain in detail and hopes they will tell her what's wrong with her. Well pretty much most of the time they come back to tell her that there's absolutely nothing wrong with her.

I hear that medical mistakes are the eight leading cause of death in the United States, and that medication erros alone kill 7,000 people every year. Recently we changed my mom's medicine supplier as the one we used to go to kept filling her prescriptions wrong, and wouldn't fix their mistake once we took the medicine home. My mom relies on us to go pick her medicines up when they are ready because she doesn't drive, that's why normally we didn't find out about these errors until later. Now I'm the one that picks her medicine up and I always open the envelope before I even pay for them. Yes we do have to do our part, so far this new place has made no mistakes yet.

Hats off to hospitals, clinincs and pharmacies that care about the patients, as sometimes there are not too many, but as for me my new year resolution will be to stay healthy, I know that it's not entirely up to me but hey I will definitely do my part.

6 comments:

Erin said...

Ouch! I hope he is okay, it sounds like he is in a lot of pain :(

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Certainly glad your B&L is okay...could have been a lot worse. Where I used to work they would call it a Recordable Injury if pain medication of any type was prescribed, Lost Time if they could not go back to work immediately.

Anonymous said...

Take care of your health, with all that beer and whiskey, and smokes? You're kidding somebody!

ron s.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, came over here from Mushy's blog and forgot whose work I was reading! I guess you fit right in.

ron southern

Tara said...

It's always best to keep your eye on things. I have several family members that work in hospitals/nursing homes and some of their stories are just downright scary.

Anonymous said...

Hope he feels better soon. As for that pharmacy - that place needs ot be reported.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants