Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Cars Are More Than Just Transportation

Back in 1977 my sister used to own a black 1966 Mustang Fastback that was a dream to drive. It just so happened that she used to work exactly a short block away from where we used to live so she didn't have the need for a car. She used it mostly on the weekends and then she would only go out if she had my parents permission.


Being the good brother that I am, I told her that I would exerciese her car daily by driving it to school. I used to live in Los Angeles but attended high school in Huntington Park. I was required to take two buses to go to school so driving her car was the ticket. I was only 17 years old then.

One morning we woke up as usual, my parents used to leave the house before I did so when they came in running back into the house I knew something was wrong. They were bringing the bad news that my sister's car had been stolen over night, the thieves must have pushed it because the car had the loudest pipes around and nobody heard a thing.

Unfortunately it was never recovered, the cops told us as they were taking the report that cars as nice as the one we had are smuggled across the border complete, and not chopped in a chop chop. Since then I have had many cars but I always longed for the lost Mustang.

In 1999 "mi chica" and her dad took my van to Mexico and when they were driving back the engine gave up. I had to go pick them up all the way to Douglas, Arizona. The van stayed there and was fixed by some local mechanics, the van just barely runned so I started going to dealierships to scope what would be my next car.

I went to a local Ford dealer and saw a beautiful Mustang convertible, it was late on Saturday so I came home told "mi chica" about it and decided to go see it the next morning so we could test drive it. On Sunday we got there in the afternoon only to find out that the car had been sold and was gone.

Two weeks later I went to another Ford dealer and told the salesman that I was looking for a Mustang but had to be a certain price. The ones he had were too expensive and not really what I wanted. He said unless you have your heart set on this particular model, I can show you one that I have in the back lot, except this is an older model but it's very nice and has a 5.0 under the hood.

We walked all the way to the back lot and there at the end was a dusty but beautiful white 1993 Mustang convertible. I wasn't even close to it yet and I already knew this was going to be my car. The test drive was just a mere joyride because I was sold as soon as I saw it.

My 93 is still my only car, I drive it everyday and it has seen many miles with me, appeared in many local parades, been to several shows and actually won many trophies. Unfortunately it's starting to show it's age. The dream is that a 2005 will soon (soon can be a year or two) grace my garage, but for now my trusty 93 is still king.

Oh, I told "mi chica" that even if we decide to get a newer one my 93 will remain with us too.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

So what you're trying to say is that I can't buy the white Mustang!!! What! How come you get two... Dad do you really need two? I can take it off your hands! ;)

Anonymous said...

Don't get rid of it. I got rid of my first car, and even though it was a total POS, I completely miss it. Good luck with the 2005.

Anonymous said...

My friend used to have that same car. I miss my first car, it was a 73 Mustang

Elena said...

Buu buu. Mi pobre Mustang, todavia me acuerdo que me avisaron de el robo de mi carro estando ya en mi trabajo; sali corriendo y cuando vi que mi carro ya no estaba me encerre en el bano y llore, llore, y llore, y luego sali como si nada, muy resignada aparentemente, pero mi corazon se fue con mi precioso primer carro compartido con mi tio Luis y anexas (llamese Joe Cool)

Elena said...

Ps.

What? Vas a tener otro Mustang pronto?

Jose said...

Michelle - Sorry chica but my car won't be for sale. I acutually need more than two but can't afford them.

battlerocker - It's a keeper.

mrmanuel - I love the look of the 73 Mustangs, then two years later the shrank them because of the gas shortage.

elena - Desde entonces me gustan los Mustangs. Que lastima que nunca lo encontraron. En cuanto a un nuevo Mustang, pronto puede ser uno o dos años, asi es que todavia le falta, pero empieso a soñar.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants