Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Gooooooooooooooool!



Today, just three days after the Super Bowl another event that was broad casted worldwide happened just around the corner from me. The Soccer game between Mexico and the USA took place at the Cardinals Stadium. (University of Phoenix Stadium)


My brother is a local DJ and he was called to provide part of the entertainment by spinning some records for the crowds before the game started. People came from near and far to witness the battle and the stadium was filled to capacity. It was said that this one game brought millions to the economy of the City of Glendale, Phoenix, and some other nearby cities.



T shirts were being sold everywhere around the city with the t-shirts to support the Mexican team selling like hotcakes.

Now soccer may not be as popular in America as it is in the rest of the world but I say that we have a pretty good team that is ready to take on the European teams. Today USA once again beat Mexico 2 - 0. Mexico has not been able to beat the American team since the year 2000.

It was nice to see that all the Mexican fans still supported and were proud of their team even though they lost. I was born in Mexico so I root for "El Tri" as it is called, but I'm also an American Citizen and so I root for USA. So when this two teams play I'm kindda divided and root for Mexico... No! wait for USA. Shit I root for both although I really wanted for Mexico to break that losing streak.

Better luck next time.

5 comments:

MrManuel said...

I am very jealous that you got to go to the game. I wondered if you would be going. My dad came over and watched the game with me. Even though I am Mexican by descent, I still cheer more for the US. I was born here. My dad has more of a tough time deciding. It was a good game. I don't think we are quite ready for big time European teams yet. The World Cup showed that. We'll see how the young guys we are starting to bring up can do. The Gold Cup and Copa America this year will be big tests.

And Mexico has beat the US twice this decade. Both of the times(2001 and 2005 I believe) were in Azteca. They haven't beaten us at home isnce 1999. Maybe that is what you meant.

Webmiztris said...

wait...the US has a soccer team? ;)

La Bella Lady said...

I am not a soccer fan (per say). But I did see alot of it with my ex-father N law. Now, there is a soccer fan to the end (to the Mexico team that is. (Gee, thank you very much for making me miss him.) You've met him, I think, Don Miguel I call him (still & foerever my 'father' n law).

Anyway, I wouldn't be able to decide who to cheer for eighther.

Michelle said...

Jorge got to play at the game? That's freakin cool! I didn't know that... why was I left out of the loop?

Chely said...

mrmanuel:
My brother Joe didn't go to the game. He was sick. He watched it on T.V.

And you are right, the fact is, that Mexico has not beaten U.S.A. on "American Soil" for the past 8 years.

I was also "titter tottering" between Mexico & U.S. However, once I watched the first goal go in, I was quite disappointed and by the 2nd goal, I was upset! So that, pretty much sums up who I was "really" rooting for.

webmiztris:
Very funny:D

lovely lori:
Check that out, Don Miguel, your “still & forever father n law" will soon be my “still & forever father n law" too.

michelle:
I happened to be present at my mom's house when George received the call on Saturday the 27th. He was hired by "Adidas" to DJ by their stand that was promoting and selling their “New, Green, Mexico T-Shirts". You should have seen how EXCITED he was when he hung up the phone! I was so thrilled for him that I asked him to try to get us a couple of tickets to the game. I was definitely ready to drive up to Arizona for the 6th month in a row. (Needless to say, we didn’t get the tickets. Boooooo.)

George said that there were about 100 people in line waiting to buy the shirts. So, these are the people that got to enjoy my dear little brother, "D.J. Melo" in action while they waited to buy their $70.00 dollar shirt!

George DJ’d for approximately 5 hours on what he called, “top of the line equipment”. His music blared out of 8 huge speakers and he played a little bit of everything but concentrated on “Latin Music”. This is the reason he was recommended and contacted in the first place.

We all know, HE’S GREAT AT HIS CRAFT and the fact that Adidas contacted him for an event as important as this, helps me forget that Mexico lost.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants