Thursday, June 19, 2008

Day 5

Many of these little towns feed on tradition. We were lucky enough to participate in one of the most important days for the people of El Ranchito (The Little Ranch) if not the most important. On Friday, the fifth day into our vacation my uncle told us to get ready and that we would be leaving soon.

As I went outside I noticed that a few people were there. Most of them were my relatives which we had previously visited but there were a few unfamiliar faces too. Again, a full size pick up truck became a mass transportation vehicle. We started on our way to El Ranchito which was about 35 minutes away and picked up some more people along the way.

The Sacred Heart of Jesus is El Ranchito's patron and on this Friday they had their yearly celebration to honor him. El Ranchito is a very small place with a very small population, but people came from near and far as these kinds of religious events are very important to the people there.


The old lady facing my godfather is nearing 90 years in age, we picked her up by the side of the road as she was waiting for some sort of transportation to take her to El Ranchito. I offered to help her get on the bed of the truck but she politely declined and all by herself in about four seconds she was on top of the trucks bed ready to go. Needless to say, I was amazed.


Upon entering the street leading to the church we noticed how beautifully it had been decorated. The bells were tolling and the fireworks started burning. In a celebration like this they must burn close to a hundred fireworks. I noticed that they were setting up the altar outside the church, as they knew that the interior would not be sufficient for the amount of people that would be attending.




Again, I kept being introduced to a lot of people that in one way or another were related to me. More cousins and uncles just kept popping up from nowhere. The mass was long and beautiful, this was the day some kids would be doing their first communion and they just looked great in their white outfits. The Chinelos danced and the banda played as the people prepared to carry their patron all over town.
















The walk could not have been more emotional. It was probably a 2-mile walk but at a slow pace that took us around the little town, up the hill, through the fields and back to the church it took about an hour. It was an endless line of people, I was amazed at how much their faith means to them. There were very old people that waked the distance without complaining. All the while three guys at the end of the line kept releasing fireworks that echoed loud and could be heard as far away as Pilcaya.



Every five minutes different people took turns in carrying the image of The Sacred Heart of Jesus, the bells only stopped ringing when the saint was brought back to the church. As for the fireworks, they went on and on for most of the day.



As is their custom, after the procession, we all gathered in the back of the church's atrium and were treated to the best mole Verde I have ever eaten. At first I was apprehensive as I can't stand green mole but this was no Mole de Dona Maria, this was home made mole and I liked it so much I had to go for seconds.




After dinner and what seemed like an endless amount of good bye exchanges, we headed back to Santa Maria. We once again went to visit my godfather for an hour or two and then from there we went to visit yet another tio. Tio Aurelio, another of my dad's brothers is quite the character, he is a shy and quiet person until you give him something to drink, then the sky is the limit.


The truck is loaded with people ready to go back to Santa Maria. Oh wait, leave some room, I have to go up there too!

Unfortunately on this occasion he was just overcoming a scorpion sting. Apparently the first we were in Santa Maria they drove right by us on their way to town to take him to the doctor. During our visit on Friday, he was feeling a lot better but said he was still very numb. Mi tio and his wife have fourteen kids and most of them are still at home. After that day, they would go and visit almost every afternoon and kept my niece Maryita occupied by showing her the sights.


These are my tios. A couple of days before I took this picture, tio Aurelio had been stung by a scorpion and was still very numb. He was getting better though.

They walked us home when it got dark, and by this time we were ready to lay down and rest. It had been a very busy day.

5 comments:

Chely said...

Awesome, awesome, awesome:)

I think we are so fortunate to be able to review our Mexican/Catholic traditions through your eyes. I don't think I would of captured so much detail if I had been there. I enjoy your naration of all the events.

Yesterday, I read the story before you had uploaded the pictures and today, see them brought a smile to my face. I had pictured the events by your description alone & was tickled to see that the pictures totaly reflect your description.

I remember mi tio Aurelio & tia Cristina. 14 kids?!! That's right, I remember that now. Wow, life is certainly different over there.

God bless that 90 year old woman. What a difference; clean air, no preservatives & fresh organically grown food makes=D

Michelle said...

Yup Grandpa's family all looks alike. But my Abuelita and her brother... I still don't see it... Haha! This is as far as we got in our conversations and the most interesting day for me. So I look forward to all the rest of the days from here on out since I have no stories yet!

I like hearing everything about your trip! The more I see pictures the more I wish I had gone with you! It would be interesting to meet these family members that I have never met before. And hoe cool would it have been for me to see the house that Abuelito grew up in!

Jose said...

chely - I think our traditions are great. This was different from when we used to go for Semana Santa way back when.

Most of the old people there are pretty active. Worn out from heavy duty labor and yet strong as oaks.

michelle - Going there would really open your eyes to show you how good we have it here even during the bad times. We take too much for granted.

I too hope you would make the trip. I was hoping we could go next year again.

Wanda said...

Jose, these posts could be made into a wonderful book.

I'm loving each chapter.

Anonymous said...

I'm with Wanda - this does make a wonderful book! I am enthralled with your vacation - it is truly amazing, and that procession was something out of a movie almost. Just wonderful!!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants