Sunday, June 22, 2008

Day 6

So far there has not been a day where we don't go somewhere. Well on Saturday I was going to finally visit a place I had always wanted to visit. The city of Taxco had always been in my must visit list. For this outing we decided to leave my mom at home, at first she agreed then she wanted to change her mind and wanted to go but finally reason won and she stayed. There just was no way she would withstand walking up the heavy upgrades and the endless amount of stairs.



From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Taxco de Alarcón

Mexican State Guerrero
Elevation 1,778 m (5,833 ft)
Population (2005)
- Total 50,415 city
Website: http://www.taxco.gob.mx
Taxco de Alarcón (Taxco) is a former colonial silver-mining center in the northern part of the Mexican state of Guerrero on the western arm of the Sierra Madre del Sur. It is located 200 km southwest of Mexico City along the old highway to Acapulco at an elevation of 1,800 m (5,900 ft). The city serves as the administrative center of the municipality of the same name, which covers a total area of 347 km² (134 sq mi) of the surrounding territory. With a population of 50,415,[1] Taxco is the fifth-largest in the state.[2] The municipality has a population of 98,854,[1] which also includes the cities of Tlamacazapa and Acamixtla.

The city is built on the side of a mountain, with very steep narrow cobblestone streets lined by whitewashed houses with red-tiled roofs.


Taxco was incorporated in 1532. The books in the Court of Letters, Taxco's first-known public registry, go back to 1529. In 1542 the Mayor, Don Luis de Castilla, was the first Spaniard to make his fortune from the mines of Taxco.


Two hundred years later, French prospector Joseph de la Borda discovered a rich silver deposit. Taxco is the world's capital of silver, with over 200 shops and dozens of renowned silver jewelers. Silver is still the most important aspect of Taxco's economy.

The parish church of Santa Prisca, a 250-year-old baroque-style church, is found in Taxco.

Taxco was named a "Pueblo Mágico" in 2002.

Taxco is about two hours away from Santa Maria. We were supposed to catch a "convy" all the way but my uncle later decided that he would drive to Tetipac and we would taxi the rest of the way.

A good hour after we left we were in Tetipac where once again we found more family. We visited the church in Tetipac which up to that moment was the prettiest of all the churches we had visited. This church had been havily remodeled and the gardens were very beautiful. No other church up to this point was so well taken care of. The inside was just as beautiful as the outside and the birds flew freely inside the temple.














As you can see from these images, Tetipac has one of the most beautiful and well taken care Churches. The Mexican government is not allowing for these churches to be remodeled as they are a huge part of history, they can only be restored. However this one seemed to have gone extensive changes as everything in it looked new.


We boarded the "convy" and an hour and a half later we were in Taxco. The streets of Taxco leading to the zocalo are being fixed so cars couldn't go up. The "convy" only goes to the foot of the hill so we had a lot of walking ahead of us.



Taxco is a city of romance and beauty, the very narrow streets only allow very small cars to through them, VW Beatles are the car of choice there, although there are many Nissan and Ford and Chevrolet mini cars no car will go up the very steep upgrades than the VW.


The cars are parked only about an inch and a half away from the wall, I would be worried about scratching the paint.

After the first few steps up the small walkways I was already puffing very hard, I saw no fat people there, it didn't take me long to figure out why. The locals walk up the streets like if it's just a walk in the park.

Half hour later we were up by the zocalo and by this time very hungry. Mi tio took us to the mercado and to a restaurant where we ate a good tasting menudo, my niece opted for a chicken platter that was very tasty as well.


Now on a full stomach we were ready to go visit yet another church. Santa Prisca is the pride of Taxco, no have not seen beauty until you see this church. It's baroque style and gold plated ornaments inside the church along with some 35 original paintings and many other unique things to see really make this a jewel to be visited and seen. We stayed there for about an hour touring it's chapels and taking an endless amount of pictures, but finally we had to leave.


This is the front of the church. This church is so pretty that I will have to do a slide show on it.

The Zocalo is being worked on therefore it was closed, that didn't mean there was no action there, it was Saturday and it was busy, and the tourists were there in full force. Taxco is not only a place visited by tourist from the U.S. but from Europe and South America as well. As we were walking we saw many group of American and English visitors.


An estudiantina had just been playing and were getting ready to leave. This students were nice enough to pose with my sister and niece.

Taxco is home to many wealthy Americans that choose to live in Mexico. I didn't see them but I hear that their homes as as big as those in Beverly Hills.

It was getting late and we had to do a very important last thing while there, yeap you guessed it, we had to shop. We did 90% of our gift shopping there, from a pair of rebosos that mi chica wanted, to huaraches for the whole family, and a few silver items too. Taxco is the silver capital of world, you can find an array of products made out of silver.












If we go back to Mexico next year, I will definitely shoot to make our Taxco visit at least an overnight experience. Four hours just were not enough.



While in Taxco, a kid that couldn't be more than eight years old was selling hats, he approached me and asked me to buy one. Seeing such a young boy work for a living I couldn't say no. I was hoping that after buying the hat I would blend in a bit more with the locals. What do you think, did I succeed?

Back in Tetipac we decided it was time to eat again. I wanted tacos, mi tio wanted to take us to this little restaurant where two of my cousins worked, fortunately it was closed. I say fortunately because right next to the church I had seen a tacos al pastor stand. They looked so good that we drove back up and let me tell you, they did not dissapoint. These tacos had to be the best tacos al pastor we ate during the whole trip. They served them with pumking seeds and a slice of pinneapple. Indeed the most delicious tacos, this was the flavor I had been expecting for a taco al pastor in a long long time.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Loving your reports.

Also, hubby started a contest

Check out www.valtool.blogspot.com and think 80s

Anonymous said...

First of all - you look great!

Second - I'm curious to know how they all knew you were coming? I mean, did they have a phone in the house you stayed - like how did you arrange to visit if there was no phone? I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question, but I've been meaning to ask since you first came back, lol

Third - do you eat anything but tacos? ;) LOL

Fourth - That city is somethign special and really amazing!!!!

Jose said...

amy - I'm glad you are enjoying them. Keep coming back, just a few more.

erin - Even after I bought the hat I still stuck like a sore thumb. lol Now, how did they know we were coming, well they knew since last year, lol just kiddin'. They actually have cell phones but there they all have the ones where you get prepaid service, and for long distance they get a prepaid card. They never last what they say they do. Now, to me the flavor of Mexico is best found in a taco. Sure full meals are good too but there is nothing like savoring tacos. And lastly believe me, the city of Taxco is beautiful. I hope you clicked on the links.

Tara said...

What a beautiful place...though I think I would be intimidated to try and drive down such a narrow street!

Wanda said...

Oh I'm loving this running daily comentary....I don't comment every time, but today I had too. You handsome dude in that white shirt and hat!!!

Hope you wife was close by or some of those senoritas might grab you.

LOL:Wanda

Anonymous said...

Hi Tio, just wanted you to know, I have been reading your Mexico day-by-day and I'm really enjoying it, even though I've heard most of the stories from my Mama and Margie.
Love ya,
Vane

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants