Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 10


So close and yet so far. I mean I should be done with this trip a long time ago and yet I am only on day ten. By the way, I have added pictures to my previous post. If you care to scroll down go and check them out.

On this occasion mi tio asked me if I wanted to go with them to Pilcaya. You may remember Pilcaya from day three. My mom, sister, and niece decided to stay and take a much needed rest. Until this day we had been out every single day and when I was given to option to stay and rest or come with, I decided for the later.

The government was selling roof sheets for a super low price and the plan was to take advantage of the price and buy a few, but as usual if the government is involved it's not an easy task. In any case, I walked around town with my cousins and ate some more of those wonderful fried taquitos that they sell over there.

I was introduced to some more people that turned to be my relatives and even met cousins I didn't know I had. All the while taking pictures like crazy. Up to this day the weather had been nice, it had been somewhat hot during the days and humid at night but on this particular day, the sky got angrily gray and we knew that soon we would have heavy rains.

I took a picture towards Santa Maria where it had already been raining. It was decided to cut the day short as the roads to Santa Maria are very dangerous without rain, so can you imagine how the get with rain. It didn't take but a few minutes after we left town when the rain caught up to us and in a matter of seconds we couldn't see past a few yards in front of us.


All of my cousins had ridden in the back of a mini truck coming to town but going back we all got into my uncles pick up truck, I think it's safe to say we resembled a can of sardines. Going down the cliff, we were afraid that the dirt would avalanche and cover the road, a previous rain a month back had done that and for two days no one could drive through.

Luckily it didn't, we got all the way down to the river and cross the bridge one car at a time. To go up the bridge and then up the cliff took some experienced driving. The trucks would fishtail and the wheels spun in the mud but none of us got stuck. It took us longer than normal but thank God we got home in one piece. It turned out to be quite an adventure. The rain however left as fast as it came and later that day we got more visitors.

My cousin Migue knowing how much I like rabbit had a neighbour of his cook one and he and his family brought it over. We all feasted on it and let me tell you it did not disappoint. It was delicious. Tio Nacho another of my dad's brothers also showed up if only for a little while. I was just happy we were able to see him as he lives in Morelos some four hours away. I thought it was nice he took the time to come and visit.

This was the last day we spent in Santa Maria as the following day we were going back to Cuernavaca to spend the last three days there.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like some tough driving there - but well worth it!!

I loved the pictures on the previous post - so beautiful!!

Chely said...

Gorgeous pictures on your previous post. for a little town, that church looks amazing. You guys look so peaceful.

That trip back home on the rain sounds scarry, but hey - what is life without adventure? Thank God all of you arrived safe.

I remember that Rabbit tacos are very good. I was around 6 years old when I had one.

I always think about that whenever I watch that scene in "Fatal Atraction" when the mother finds her little girl's rabbit cooking in the kitchen. LOL=D Que mala! Verdad?

Tara said...

The photos are spectacular Jose. The dirt road sounds a bit scary. Glad you all enjoyed yourselves!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants