Saturday, September 06, 2008

TEPOZTLAN

So Saturday came around and our friends woke us up but instead of greeting us with a table full of food as they did the day before they told us to get ready because we were going to a restaurant for breakfast. I wish I could tell you the name of the place but I already forgot it, what I haven't forgot is that it was a very nice restaurant that had a charming patio. We of course decided the patio was the place to sit so we were lucky to get a big table that sat all of us and we headed for the Mexican Buffet style food.













And it is thanks to the last picture in this sequence that I noticed that the restaurant's name is "Bondy". Notice that they only had vallet parking in this place.

They had the usual morning eggs, bacon, hot cakes, and juices, apple, orange, grapefruit, etc. etc. and then they had the unusual at least for us such as chilaquiles, carne de puerco en chile verde (pork in green chili), enchiladas, and menudo. And while enjoying all these wonderful and tasty dishes a duet playing the most beautiful classical music. Talk about soothing sounds and good food. Ummmm yummy!


View of the patio from the buffet area.


After the breakfast they took us back to their house but only for a few minutes because they wanted to take us to a nearby town that was supposed to be a happening place. The name of this town is Tepoztlan (Please click on the link to learn more about this wonderful and beautiful place).

The only bad part of this trip was that I had to sit in the back of the sub in the luggage cargo area and after 45 minutes of sitting there I got so sick that I thought I was going to pass out. It was a the same time that my niece who has a low tolerance for car riding and exhaust fume smelling that she got so sick too that they had to pull off the side of the road so we could catch some fresh air.

It was in Tepoztlan or "Tepoz" for short as all the locals call it that we bought a lot of souvenirs. You will find the most strange hill formations, there is belief that some of these formations did not happen on their own or with human help. Can you say aliens? lol


We spent a good time touring the Ex Dominic Convent of the Nativity, matter of fact there was a wedding being celebrated while we were there so we crashed it for a little bit. Then it was off to the market place. Tepoz is a mecca for poets and painters and it has a big Anglo community as well as Hippy Communes. You will find so many different types of local art being displayed and sold daily.


Ex Convento Dominico de la Natividad. Tepoztlan, Morelos -- Mexico.




Mural made from seeds at church entrance gate.


There is a pyramid a the top of the hills and it is a popular destination, we wanted to go up there but it would be such a time consuming and demanding hike that with our elder relatives proved to be impossible so we did not get to see it. I am going to try and find a picture in Google, hopefully I'll find one.


Image borrowed from tour by Mexico.
CLICK HERE for more of where I borrowed image from.


We spent a good four hours taking in the sites and walking around doing some shopping but it was time to go back. Louie had promised to cook a Paella for us so we wanted to make it to their house early enough.




Shops in Tepoztlan are all over the place. It is indeed a beautiful town to visit and to spend a whole day.

All in all, it was yet one more wonderful day where we saw and learned so many new things and basically had a terrific time. Oh, and going back we took some medicine so that we could stand the traffic and the smell of burnt fuel. Unfortunately in Mexico they don't believe in emissions.

We were told to go to sleep early because Louie's sisters and families were taking us for breakfast the following morning.

8 comments:

ChrisJ said...

So many wonderful things to see in Mexico! I've only been a couple of times and then only to tourist spots.

Betty F said...

Oh Joe, such a wonderful place. I love the town square where the church is. Is this where your family is from? Beautiful place

Jose said...

chris - Tepoztlan is not a Cancun or a Puerto Vallarta but it is a tourist spot, also is only about half an hour from Cuernavaca where lots of retired Americans live. It was a beautiful place to visit.

bettey flocken - No, my parents were from Guerreo and this is in Morelos. They are neighoring states though. My parents are from Santa Maria, Guerrero see this post if you have a chance.

http://joecoolsblog.blogspot.com/2008/06/day-2.html

Anonymous said...

Wow...Tio this place was a really nice place..I liked it but if Im able to go again next time I would like to see the Pyramids.. and yes...me the one that always gets sick in the car. Its not my fault i get sick of the exhaust fumes..
:( you know what...even knowing that I get sick riding in the Car I just lovee going to Mexico!...lol
Tio you really captured good pictures of Tepoz..because I sure didnt.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have absolutely gotta go there!!! You take the bestest pictures!

Jose said...

maryita - I feel for you, I really got sick riding in the back of the car, luckily Louie volunteered to trade places.

catscratch - I can assure you that you would love it. I am glad you like the pictures, I normally write something obviously but they say that pictures are worth a thousand words. lol

Elena said...

Es cierto, Tepotztlan es un lugar maravilloso, un lugar donde lo que veas admiras. Solo te quiero recordar es que de regreso fue que fuimos a dejar el regalo a los amigos de mi compadre y nos quedamos cantando karaoke hasta las 4:00 am. Y es cierto, las hermanas de mi compadre nos habian invitado a desayunar en un restaurant al otro dia en la manana, asi es que nos fuimos a desayunar mas desvelados que nada. Pero estuvo padrisimo d todos modos.

Jose said...

elena - Si me acorde pero ya hera mucho, ademas quien se quiere enterar de nuestras borracheras. je je je.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants