Friday, November 14, 2008

2008 CMA's

The weather fooled us a little bit. Here I was thinking it was going to get cold and today we are back to wearing shorts. Yep, shorts and t-shirts is proper winter attire here in Phoenix. Well, one think will be for sure, it will be nice tonight at Manny's. I thought for sure they would turn the heaters on tonight but it doesn't seem like it will be necessary.

So, the CMAs were last Wednesday and I don't see the point when the same people keep winning the same awards year after year. To me that means that things are status quo, nothing new happens, nobody excels, the all just become complacent, and basically defeats the purpose. The live performances are usually bad, take Taylor Swift for instance, she sounded really bad this year, last year and the year before that. If she was trying for American Idol she would be rejected. That is just too sad. Her recordings on the other had are pretty cool. After hearing them perform live in a huge show such as this and hear them sound not so good, it makes me realize maybe I am not such a bad karaoke singer.

On the other hand, Carrie Underwood proved to be the exception, but then again on AI they sing so many genres that we already know she could sing. Wednesday was no exception. Should she be the best year after year, I don't think so, there are so many more talented singers out there. But hey, that's just me. I now most of you love Rascal Flats, me I like certain songs but can't take a full CD, Gary's voice to me is annoying. Yes I realize not every country singer can sound like Trace Adkins, or Randy Travis or even Randy Owen but hey to each it's own. Obviously millions like them and buy their albums.

I have loved country music since the early 80's, back then country music sounded like country music. Now it wants to compete with Pop music. Taylor Swift, Brad Paysley, and even Kenny Chesney have songs that don't sound too country. Then non country singers such as Jessica Simpson, Darius Rucker, and Kid Rock come in and grab the numero uno spot. Kindda crazy, isn't it? I guess that is the evolution of music.

Fusing music is nothing new, so hearing Kenny Chesney sing songs that sound Hawaiian, or Caribbean does not surprise me. So even though I did enjoy the 2008 CMA's I have to admit that the country music influence is in jeopardy.

Being the old school kindda guy that I am, I guess I'm still stuck on Classic Country.

6 comments:

Chely said...

So, the "Latin Grammys" were last Thursday and I don't see the point when the same people keep winning the same awards year after year.

That means to me that, things are status quo, nothing new happens, nobody excels, they all just become complacent, and basically defeats the purpose.

My sentiments exactly!

Unknown said...

i love taylor swifts song love story and i think they did a great job in creating the story on stage but she did sound pretty bad

Jose said...

chely - I did watch part of the Latin Grammy's. I am amazed at how many names of the nominees I didn't know. I just think that the message they send is that the awards really don't motivate them anymore. They know the next year will be a repetition of the last show. I believe a performer can be constantly good but are the rest really that far behind. I just don't get it.

amy - I am not a fan of Taylor Swift but do like some of her songs. With "Love Story" which is probably my favorite Taylor's Swift song they tried to recreate the video. She sounds good in her recordings but everytime she has come out on TV on any live show she is just horrible. We all know that in a studio they can even make me sound good. On the other hand Carrie Underwood is a superv live singer. She sounded awesome.

Michelle said...

Hey leave my new country alone. I love it.

Carrie Underwood was the best. She totally made me cry the first time I watched it. I love Taylor Swift but yes, she does sound bad live. I enjoyed the whole show. I mainly watch for the performances anyway. I think they have more performances then awards handed out.

Jose said...

michelle - Yes, I know it's not all bad but it is a little goofy. I will still attempt to sing quite a few of them. lol

Anonymous said...

Ech... Kenny Chesney... again.

Carrie Underwood did belt out her song, I thought that lady was gonna cry (the one who introduced her).

And Trace Adkins.... That song did make me cry.

Laters!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants