Sunday, November 16, 2008

The Weekend in Review

So this hobby of mine has taken us to Manny's every Friday night for the past seven weeks in a row. It is obvious that by now we know the regulars there and are fast on our way of joining the club. Every Friday new people come to us to introduce themselves, it really is a very family oriented atmosphere and I am really loving it.

This weekend we were joined by three of mi chica's coworkers and they too said they had a great time even tho they did not sing. I just thanked them for not taking a basket of ripe tomatoes to throw at me while I was singing. Instead mi chica told me that they in fact like the songs I did and one of her friends even googled some of them. Wow! Talk about ego buster for me. lol

One of the regulars there, a big guy with a big voice surprised us the other day as he did a rendition of "Sherry", then this Friday he did "The Lion Sleeps Tonight". Now both these songs are sung really, really high, and he did them with no problem whatsoever. I had to go and ask him how he can go that high and his reply was, "Before I sing songs like these I go into the bathroom and give me a wedgie. Now if you'll excuse me I have to go and remove it, otherwise I won't be able to sing anything else". I just had to laugh at his sense of humor.

My sister and her husband have been going out with us for the past three Saturdays and yesterday mi sister called to invite us to a "Bohemian Night". Some of the members of the church choir for which she is the director got together and formed a band. They were to perform at one of the member's house which by the way was only about three minutes away from ours (super convenient) for these two radio station DJs as they are seeking help to land some contracts.

We got there at about 7:00 p.m. Their audition lasted a good two hours in which they played everything in their repertoire. The difference with this group was that the singer also makes his own arrangements and they took a lot of popular songs all in Spanish and gave them their own personal touch. Even the popular novela theme song "Para Siempre" which is originally sung by Vicente Fernandez got a different arrangement, as he put it we are not mariachis so they toned it down into a ballad. Pretty ingenious. They play really good and the singer has a terrific voice. So, there is hope there. We'll see how thing pan out for them. In the meantime we had two very pleasant two hours there.

Being that we were so close to our house, mi sister and her husband spent the next two hours with us drinking coffee and Disaronno and just listening to some more music.

Basically, we just had another awesome weekend. Today is my take it easy day.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

sounds like a good time.... we had a good weekend as well. Michael posted about it over at valtool.blogspot.com

he needs some comment love

Betty F said...

Sounds like a wonderful weekend! I would never have the courage to sing on stage!

Jose said...

amy - Yes, we had a terrific time. Thank you very much. On my way to valtool's to get the update.

betty - It is not as hard as it seems, it is all for fun and nobody really cares if we sing out of tune. You should try it sometime.

Tara said...

Sounds like a lot of fun Jose. You know you have quite the following of fans who enjoy your singing voice :D

Anonymous said...

I dig listening to your sing snap tunes.

Someday we'll all manage to get together and sing all night!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants