Sunday, May 23, 2010

Pentecost

Maryvale Stadium, a baseball stadium but today the place where we celebrated our Pentecost mass.

Mass is at 9:00 but I want you all here at seven, is what my sister told us. But I knew that would be two hours of doing nothing so I got there at around eight. I was right, we had plenty of time since we didn't really have to practice, and there was a team that was in charge of setting everything up and they did that very early in the morning.


The Spirit who came as a great rushing wind and as tongues of fire on the first Pentecost will come more quietly but no less powerfully upon us today and upon the gifts we will place on this altar.

If we believe the Spirit will make of bread and wine we offer the presence of the Body and Blood of Christ in the sacrifice of this Eucharist, will we fail to believe that the same Spirit will make of our wounds, a font of grace? Of our mistrust, a new-found hope? Of our brokenness a stronger Church, nourished by the bread and cup of this holy table?

Will these gifts be transformed - and us who receive them, too? Yes, says the Lord! He has promised and he will do it!

Come, Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your people and kindle in us the fire of your love. Send forth your Spirit and we shall be created anew and you shall renew the face of the earth.


-- Fr. Austin Fleming, Homily for Pentecost, May 23, 2010


Maryita and I.

This princess on the photo is my niece. She has the voice of an angel. She has been singing in the choir since she was a little girl. Now as a young adult, she is our lead vocalist, she can easily direct the choir, if her mom is not available it won't be a problem for her to step in and lead us into singing in mass. She is just a joy to be around and if you ever listen to her sing you will agree with me.

My sister Maria Elena and I.

And this is my sister, she is our choir director and fearless leader. She asked me many times to join them and for different reasons I always declined her invitation, but now I am happy I joined. I am definitely having the time of my life serving in this ministry and have even told her to call me as much as she wants. There are times I feel we live at church with all the practices and masses but it's all good.

Rea, empty mike, Maryita, and Elena.

I was very comfortably sitting in the back with the rest of the choir ready to sing when Rea looked at me and exactly as I was snapping this picture she said, Jose come down here, yep, that microphone there with no one in front of it was now mine. I guess I am moving up in the world but I still have a lot to learn and a long way to go.


Well, the shirt says it all. Ever since we moved from Los Angeles back in 1990 we registered with St. Vincet de Paul Parish and have remain here. My dad was very active in the Parish and now my sister. And now some of my nephews and one of my grand kids have full scholarships and are attending the school.

This is my newest niece Cristina. She is in the choir and has adopted me as her tio Jose. I love when my family grows.

Here are a couple more images of this wonderful Pentecost celebration.

Part of the combined choir.

The Congregation.


.

6 comments:

Jenny from the Blog said...

We missed it!! The interesting part was that Juan got up at 10:30am and said he was gonna go to the Spanish Mass today...I had to tell him that we missed church today but there is always next week. Can you remind him as we get closer to next Sunday for me in a non-chalant kinda way? He really needs to go...maybe it will help him.

Jose said...

Just tell him I am still waiting for him to go hear me sing. Ummm maybe not, he may use that as an excuse not to go. lol No, I'll extend the invitation to him.

Elena said...

Fue un dia maravilloso, exelente clima para la fecha, (raro en Arizona) extraordinaria celebracion, calido ambiente, que mas podemos pedir, de verdad que el Espiritu Santo esta con nosotros, aunque con tanto trabajo que tuvimos la semana pasada con las confirmaciones y la preparacion de Pentecostes termine exausta, no pude mantenerme despierta, hasta me sentia mareada despues del pozolito de Alfred. No cabe duda que todo fue perfecto.

Anonymous said...

Jose! the title to my post was ALSO Pentecost... Beautiful post I loved the words from the homily. Looks like a beautiful day.. the weather was perfect wasn't.. My Sabby was baptized Sunday.

Michelle said...

OoOoO! You got your very own mic... you are moving up in the world! That sure is a lot of people!

ChrisJ said...

The older we get the more 'the church' means to us. It becomes our family because He is our Father. It is a community of people who love the Lord and you can find them all over the world. Even if you've never met them before they are still 'family'.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants