Monday, October 30, 2006

Love Disco Style

It's past midnight and my friend and I are almost ready to go home, we have been dancing the night away -- No, let me re-phrase that I have been dancing the night away, he was the shyest of the group and it would take a crane to lift him and take him to the dance floor.

Yeah, I know that a lot of people back then used to say Disco Sucks! But by gosh I loved being a Disco Kid, I loved the dancing, the music, the atmosphere, and the loud pounding never ending beat of the music. Some people used to say that if you heard one song you herd them all, but us Disco Kids knew different, each song was danced differently and we knew all the required steps to apply to each song. We prided ourselves on being on top of what was new; our dancing steps were always current.

Those were the Disco days; I started in the mid 70's with the New York Hustle and ended in the late 80's with High Energy. To say "ended" is just a word because to this day I still dance and I can still do the hustle, like riding a bike I never forgot. So a decade of going out every Saturday night to the Disco was bound to leave many memories in the memory bank of life.

So on this particular night we were tired and almost ready to go home when my favorite song starts playing and my feet start moving, however I tell my friend to go and ask this cute girl standing by the door to dance with him, but as usual he shyly declined which made me get up and say, well if you won't dance I will.

"Excuse me, would you like to dance with me" I asked, the girl stretching her neck as to look into the dance floor looks at me, then looks at the dance floor, then looks at me again and as I'm getting ready to be rejected she says "sure, let's go". The song coming from the speakers was "Love Disco Style" and I loved the song so I started busting the latest moves, I had to impress her and I knew I had about 30 minutes to do it (most Disco songs back then were over 20 minutes each), before she would say "Thanks for the dance" and left the dance floor.

Well later on in life I came to find out that the only reason she accepted to dance with me on that late night or early morning as it was past midnight was because she was looking for her friend which went with her on that night and she didn't want to leave her stranded, and by her going to the dance floor would be easier to spot her in case she was there. And here I am thinking she danced with me because I was irresistible.

So since she didn't find her friend she decided to wait for her to show up and I was happy to keep her company while she waited, her friend never came back that night but we kept dancing until the Disco closed for the night.

Last week "mi chica" and I celebrated our 25th Wedding Anniversary. We went out to eat Japanese food at her favorite restaurant and after we finished, we stopped by my mom's house because "mi chica" is in charge of organizing all of her medicines in one of those weekly medicine holders. As we walked in the house my brother came out and congratulated both us on our anniversary, he did not know we were going to stop by as we decided that in the last minute but after he gave us a hug he casually walked to the stereo pressed the play button for the CD player and the song "Love Disco Style" started playing.

Yeah, I asked her to dance on that night and to this day we continue to dance. Disco singles back then may have been over 20 minutes long, but our dance has not seen a time limit as of yet.

And so, this coming Saturday we will gladly renew our vows.

Life is a dance.

6 comments:

MrManuel said...

Keep on dancing my friend!

Lana said...

OMG I remember the Disco like it was yesterday. Hubby and I went to discos when we first got married.

Chely said...

I love this story. It brings tears to my eyes. I'm so glad George played this song on your day and I hope you guys dance it again on Saturday.

I'm sorry I will miss it. I will be there in spirit and will be thinking of you both.

I love you guys.

Your little sister,

Chely

Anonymous said...

aww Tio thats so cute! *tear tear* I cant wait till your 25th wedding Celebration

La Bella Lady said...

As we at work celebrate our 'festive lunch', laughing and giggling; I took a few minutes to try and catch up on your blog. To my suprise, you made me get all teary eye and sensitive.. It has brought happiness and delight to my heart to know such lovely & romantic stories still exsist. CONGRATULATIONS AND GOD BLESS YOU BOTH! May he use you as an example to those of us who have loved & lost.

Nikki Darling said...

Awww!!! That made me all teary eyed too! Oh that Jorge! I can't wait for tomorrow daddy, you and my mom have showed me that not all marriages will end in divorce just because of a few quarrels. It gives us young folk something to strive for =). I love you daddy!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants