Saturday, December 29, 2007

Christmas 2007

Hello my fellow bloggers, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas full of warmth and family unity as I believe should be. I had a wonderful time, my family gathered at my niece's house on Christmas eve and we all had a great time. There was plenty of food and presents for all.

The more is less mentality applied this year. We didn't go overboard with the presents, we had a simple gift exchange and of course the kids did get a plethora of things, the food was great and maybe more than we needed but at least we had a nice choice of dishes to eat. Plenty of deserts too.

After midnight, we all said good bye and as is a tradition of ours, my very immediate family came back home with us and spent another hour or two opening more presents, this time we usually reserve for the kids, they are the ones that have the most fun unwrapping gifts than anyone else. Us grown ups just sipped on coffee and watched them have their fun. After a couple of hours they all said goodbye and said that they would be back later for us to enjoy a Christmas dinner.

My sister in law and her family joined us later on and we all enjoyed a ham cooked by mi chica. Some of the guests brought deserts and and drinks and we all spent a nice afternoon together. To me being together as a family is what it's all about.

I remember growing up Christmas was not about gifts and Santa Claus, but about the celebration of Jesus Christ birth. We celebrated starting on December 16th with a nightly "posada" in which we would re-enact how Joseph and Mary went from door to door asking for a place to spend the night until finally they were given the barn to stay. This is a Mexican custom that I wouldn't doubt still exists today. After the re-enactment we would brake three or sometimes four pinatas that mostly had fruits inside and a few pieces of candy.

Fireworks are also popular during that time of the year, in Mexico everybody can buy and light up fireworks, they have from the mild firecrackers to the more sophisticated bombs. Dangerous, yes but a part of our custom just the same.

i really hope that your celebrations were just as fun and as good as ours was. Now we prepare to receive the new year. I really hope that 2008 is a better year for all.

1 comment:

Chely said...

Glad to know that you've created Traditions of you own. With such an extended family, this is the best anyone can do.

I for one had a very different kind of Christmas Eve. It felt foreign, but I made the best of it. But then again, I knew it had to be like this for now.

As for "Las Posadas", I was too young to thoroughly enjoy them. I only remember bits and pieces. I love the idea that surrounds them though.

Here I am on New Year's Eve, and I still don't know what we're doing tonight. Never-the-less, this year will be over soon and I am looking forward to 2008.

I have many plans I'd like to accomplish and many new people to meet.

I hope you all have a GREAT time tonight and I wish you the best in 2008.

Bestitos,

Chely

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants