Saturday, May 03, 2008

Country Music

As many of you know by now I love music, any kind of music, but I enjoy certain styles better than others. For quite a while I have been into Country Music. My love for Country Music is not new, it starter back when I was a teenager and groups such as Alabama and The Oakridge Boys were hot tickets or Willie Nelson and The Judds were playing on the radio daily.

Back during the Disco era there was a deviation of music and fashion brought by a movie with John Travolta. "Urban Cowboy" was a well received movie and most of us at the Disco decided dressing up like cowboys with "John Wayne" shirts and baggy pants and wearing cowboy boots and hats was the trend.

To me "Urban Cowboy" brought County Music to those of us that otherwise would have never given it the chance. In Anaheim, California the famous bar "Gilley's" opened up. Unfortunately for me, "Gilley's" was for people 21 years old and over, so I could never go, but I heard it was such a fun place complete with a mechanical bull and nothing but Country Music.

I have listened to many styles of music since then but for the past few years I find myself listening to more Country Music than any other kind, including Spanish Music. And Mickey Gilley's classic songs are among my favorites. Here I am singing on of these classics.


Some time ago I highlighted "I've been watching you" by Rodney Atkins. This is a song that I thought is what parenting is all about. If you missed it, read that post here.
Then a couple of months ago, I highlighted "You Find Out Who Your Friends Are" by Tracy Lawrence. This song is about friendship and finding out who your friends are. If you missed it, read that post here.
So, today I want to highlight yet another song about growing up and parenting too. This is a new song and currently a favorite of mine. It's called "You Gonna Miss This" by Trace Adkins. Let me know what you think about it.


She was staring out the window of that SUV
Complaning, saying "I can't wait to turn 18"
She said "I'll make my own money, and I'll make my own rules"
Mamma put the car in park out there in front of the school
Then she kissed her head and said "I was just like you"

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Before she knows it she's a brand new bride
In a one-bedroom apartment, and her daddy stops by
He tells her "It's a nice place"
She says "It'll do for now"
Starts talking about babies and buying a house
Daddy shakes his head and says "Baby, just slow down"

Cause you're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this

Five years later there's a plumber workin' on the water heater
Dog's barkin', phone's ringin'
One kid's cryin', one kid's screamin'
She keeps apologizin'
He says "They don't bother me.
I've got 2 babies of my own.
One's 36, one's 23.
Huh, it's hard to believe, but ...

You're gonna miss this
You're gonna want this back
You're gonna wish these days hadn't gone by so fast
These are some good times
So take a good look around
You may not know it now
But you're gonna miss this"

8 comments:

TLR said...

Hi Jose, I love those lyrics

Unknown said...

fabulous, I love country music as well!

Anonymous said...

Joe I love your song, it reminded me of Rob way back when. :)

I've been going through so much in my realtime life offline, that I haven't been keeping up with our online friends. I've missed you all so much.

I hope your well and the weather is getting better? Its cold out here on the coast today with heavy fog. I wish summer would hurry here soon. LOL

Take care mi amigo. :)

Jose said...

tlr - I do too. I think they have such a cool message.

amy - Country Music is not haf bad. Pop music today just doesn't do it for me.

pen - First of all I'm glad to hear you are doing better, I've been keeping up with your blog. I just love singing Mickey Gilleys songs, I'm glad you liked it.

Take care of yourself and come visit as time allows. Weather here in Phoenix is getting hot already but I love it.

MrManuel said...

I hate country music, but I did have the Chimpmunk's Urban Chipmunk album as a kid. Country classics sung by the Chipmunks - classic stuff!

Jose said...

mrmanuel - Yeah, I know you hate Country music but classics by the Chipmunks, that I have to hearl lol.

RoxiticusDH said...

JoeCool,

One good turn deserves another... just stopped by to give you my
Battle of the Blogs vote. I love that song, as well as most country music. We haven't had a country music station in the NYC metro for over 10 years, so it has been hard to keep up. But the new Jeep we leased last year came with Sirius Satellite Radio, so I am back in the country music loop.

Have a great day!

Roxy

Tara said...

Very soothing voice...I really enjoyed it :D

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants