Sunday, May 11, 2008

Speed Racer



Mi chica and I took our grandson to watch "Speed Racer". The movie in our eyes was great but then again I was prepared for disappointment. I grew up watching the series when I was a kid so it was obvious that I had a great interest in watching the movie.

It started a little slow as they had to build the story. I believe "Speed Racer" has been playing on and off on some obscure channels so many people are not familiar with it. Some time ago the theme song was revived by some group in "rave format and many people found out about Speed Racer thanks to it."

The races were totally fake as was the violence which made it OK for younger viewers. The cars "drift" through the elevated tracks complete with corkscrews, loops, and ramps all made of metal and just like in the original series the cars have a plethora of offensive and defensive devices.

The movie is mostly computer animation, the backgrounds are awesome and the action is fun to watch. It has a couple of good laughs thanks to Speed's little brother and his inseparable pet.

If you liked the mixture of human acting and computer animation in the old movie "Tron" or even better in "Lawnmower Man" then you'll like this movie. If you are around my age and remember the original series, you may like the movie but if you are lucky enough to have a grandchild or a son to go with you and you see the movie through his/her eyes, then you'll really enjoy the movie.


My grandson cheered and clapped as he pleased throughout the whole movie which was fine with me, grandma on the other hand shhhed him once or twice, but in the end we were all cheering and clapping for Speed to win the race. In the end we even got up from our seats and raised our hands in victory. I know, I know sounds lame but what's a granpa and a grandma to do.

If you think we were loud, you should have seen the Asian lady sitting behind us with her kids, you would have sword the whole thing was real, it was obvious they also enjoyed it. And then there was a teenager in front of us wearing a Speed Racer helmet.


Now, if you don't know who Speed Racer is, or grew up watching the series and find yourself going to watch it, you may be disappointed, and if you take your date with you, then you may even be in trouble.

4 comments:

Chely said...

LOL - I thoroughly enjoy your critique.

I knew you'd have fun, no matter what!

Wanda said...

My son-in-law took my grandsons to Speed Racer at Universal Studio's and they loved it. They are ages 7 and 9,

My son Myk (41) loved Speed Racer!!
I'm sure he'll take his sons.

Anonymous said...

My son is dying to see it!! I think I'm going to take him this week - glad to know your grandson enjoyed it!!

MrManuel said...

You are the first person I know who actually liked the film. Glad you liked it...

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants