Thursday, July 31, 2008

Couertesy

How hard is it? Why is it so hard for some people to give up a place in the line at the supermarket? Why can't they let the car in the other lane get in front of theirs? Are the two seconds you'll lose really going to make a huge difference? What is it about some people that just won't allow themselves to be courteous?

Courtesy is contagious, and if somebody gives you some try to pay it forward. Courtesy is something you can give plenty of and best of all it's free, it won't cost you a dime. And it will give you a feeling of satisfaction that cannot be bought.

Have you extended some courtesy to someone lately? Have you made someone smile? I would love to hear your stories if you care to share.

Yesterday I took my mom to The Ranch Market here in Phoenix. This markets have been so successful and are usually packed with people, on Wednesday the have their weekly produce sale and you can rest assured that if you go it will be packed regardless of what time of day it is.

My mom only had about half a cart full of groceries, nothing major but the guy standing behind me only had four items, there was no short checkout line at all. If the person behind me has a few things I will only let them get in front of me so I instructed him to go ahead and place his things on the conveyor belt. He said thank you as he passed me, he said thank you as he put his things on the conveyor belt, then he said thank you again as his things were being bagged and as he left he said thank you yet one more time and also good bye.

Darn, that made me feel good, I got four "thank yous" and a "goodbye" out of a stranger only for letting him get in front of me, not a bad trade off if you ask me.

5 comments:

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

You're a good man Jose...kind I like to be around.

I've enjoyed our vacation shots and stories from your visit home. It seems you went further south while I made a trek to the far north.

Tara said...

I agree with Mushy!

I am amazed how much we have allowed common courtesy slip out of our everyday routine.

Chely said...

Sometimes you're at the right place at the right time. Even if you think things are going bad for you.

Monday, July 28th - I was running late for work, (so what's new?) and I was asking myself why I had overslept?

When I arrived to work - half an hour later - I noticed that there was a little man on a wheelchair sitting in front of our Office Bldg's, manual heavy-glass double doors.

There was no one else around and so I asked him if he needed to go in? He said, "Yes". So I held the door open for him. He got stuck in the entry way so I helped him by giving him a little push inside.

He thanked me and smiled:)

I proceeded to get my "Week-end Mail" at the mailbox & as I walked towards the elevator, there he was again, just sitting in front of another set of manual heavy-glass double doors of an "Orthopedic Rehabilitation Center". The receptionist hadn't noticed that he was trying to come in and so I walked towards him & once again, held the door open for him so he could cross the threshold.

He thanked me one more time & smiled again:)

I walked into my office with a smile on MY face realizing for that moment, why I was to run late that morning:)

Michelle said...

First off Tia Chely I love your story.

And Dad I am glad you found courtesy while shopping at that supermarket because every time I go there I complain of the lack off courtesy. I have only been there on wednesdays in order to get produce... and since there are so many people... they crash my cart, run over my Diego, and try and push us out of the way when we are trying to gather our items. It's so annoying. I hate going there but the "aguas frescas" at the end make up for it I guess.

Anonymous said...

Kindness is always the best way to feel good about yourself!

I figure it'll come back to me one day!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants