Friday, August 15, 2008

Things and Stuff

Again, one more weekend is upon us. We have been invited to more fiestas than we can attend. A baby shower, a 2-year old niece's celebration, my mom's birthday. Yeap, party time and good food sounds good to me. Talking about food, I want you to know that as I write this I am enjoying a pair of home made mole rojo burritos. Yeah, my mom hooks me up with the home made lunch at least three days of the week. I don't see myself losing weight anytime soon.

Hey, I have to send a big shout out to the new sweethearts of gymnastics. In a sport of deductions, these two were getting deductions for being great, while the Chinese girls kept getting good scores even though their routines were full of balance checks. Go figure! But in the end both Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson took the gold and the silver in that order. For some reason the judges found excuses to make them wait for excessive long periods of time before they were given the green light start their routines. I kept watching these two girls struggle to maintain their focus and concentration. In the end they prevailed but they really had to work hard to earn the two top spots.


Nastia Liukin and Shawn Johnson took the Gold and the Silver Medals.
Picture borrowed from the Internet.


I couldn't help comparing these two to two of my all time gymnastics favorites. Shawn Johnson = Mary Lou Retton, and Nastia Liukin = Shannon Miller. One small and muscular, the other slender and graceful.

I've noticed a great mixture of talents in this Olympics. What I mean by mixture is this, we all know that the Romanian coach came to the US and trained our girls. A Chinese Olympian that fought so hard to have the Olympics in China is our female volley ball coach. Shawn Johnson's coach... Chinese. Our American gold medalist... Russian, Alexander Vladimirovich "Sasha" Artemev... yeap Russian, the only four female table tennis representatives, all American citizens born in China. I see this as the world coming together through sport. I am sure some of you may have a totally different view, but it is in fact a potpourri of races all competing for the USA.

Parties and more Olyimpics watching, sounds like a plan for the weekend.

What are your plans for the weekend?

4 comments:

Michelle said...

I was doing a happy dance when Shawn and Nastia pulled through and despite horrible and totally unfair judging... made it on top.

Hey! I thought Nastia reminded me of Shannon Miller too!

Chely said...

You know...it's funny, but ever since I've been on my own, I totaly forget about sports.

Hector used to watch them 24/7 and the brief moments I find myself watching TV now, are only to catch the latest episode of "Clean House" or my novela "Fuego en la Sangre".

Would you believe me if I tell you that I forget that the olympics are going on? Don't take me wrong, Gymnastics is my favorite Olympic event. But, somehow I neglect to remember that they are going on.

Thank you for the update. I will make an effort to catch them this weekend.

Betty F said...

Sounds like a great weekend ahead. I LOVE Fiestas. My son-in-law is from Mexico. His Mom cooks the MOST fabulous meals. Of course the names of all her specialties escape me now. Meatball soup (my name not hers) is one of my favorites! Have a wonderful time!
P.S. Very happy two Americans came away with Gold and Silver. Americans are from everywhere!

Anonymous said...

I'm tickled that the US is doing so well at the Olympics. I haven't watched much this weekend, just a few hours on Saturday.

We had a birthday party for my BFF. I ate too much chipotle smoked chicken and drank way too much cold beer.

Hope you had a blast at your fiestas!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants