Monday, September 29, 2008

LOVE RIDE


This is me posing with a fellow biker and celebrity, Robert Patrick. Although he is an accomplished actor and has come out on many movies I always remember him more for his role as the T-1000 killing machine in "T2 Judgement Day".

A few years back on a semi cold Saturday, some of us went to California for a one day motorcycle event. The Love Ride is the biggest, and baddest, one day event attracting over 20,000 riders. For a long time the event was held during the first week of November,but starting last year they changed the date to late October. The Love Ride always take place on Sunday, but the party starts way before that.


It was a Saturday before the ride, while at the Harley Davidson dealership of Glendale that I met and had a chance to exchange a few words with Robert Patrick. Robert has been a supporter of the love ride and is usually an Honorary Marshall for the ride. The great thing about this ride is that is always attended by many celebrities and it is not uncommon to see them mix it up with all the riders. Robert Patrick is a down to earth guy that gets there on his bike, parks it by the sidewalk, and leans by the wall talking and accepting to be photographed.

This is my 1994 HD Fatboy. In the background is Castaic Lake in Valencia California. Castaic Lake used to be the destination for "The Love Ride".




"The Love Ride is the biggest one day motorcycle event in the world. In the first image you will see the sea of bikes just waiting to be ridden. They are empty because everybody is enjoying the morning concert and opening ceremony always hosted by the ever popular Jay Leno, whom also acts as Grand Marshal every year.

The second image shows bikers getting ready to saddle up and ride them hard.



On this particular Saturday some four years ago, I happened to see at least 10 well known celebrities, however it was hard to take a picture with them, although they really aren't mobbed, we do have to understand that they are there to also have some fun and not to sign autographs all day long.


Here's another shot of my 94 Fatboy. Isn't she a beauty?


The ride from Phoenix to Los Angeles is always a fun time, it normally takes us a good eight hours to get there as we stop quite a few times to gas up and do other things. While all of our group always went all the way to Santa Clarita, mi chica and I always parted ways when we got to West Covina. So while we were resting and stretching a little at my brother in laws house, they still had at least another hour of riding.

I grew up in Los Angeles and started riding at the age of seventeen. So riding there with so much traffic around me is not intimidating at all. I just wish I had my bake in top shape so I could make the ride this year. It will be the 25th Anniversary for The Love Ride and it will probably pretty awesome. Los Angeles didn't have a bike week, but that changed last year and The Love Ride is like the kick off for the week's activities.


This is me on our way to Los Angeles to be a part of "The Love Ride". It's been three long years since I participated, I am itching to do it again.

So, for now I sit and wait. Maybe this darn economy will take a turn for the better soon and I will have a little money left over to sink into my bike to get it going. I know one of these days it will happen.

8 comments:

MrManuel said...

So awesome! We both got to meet celebrities. I'm jealous!

Anonymous said...

Love this stuff! Yeah on Robert Patrick - while I recall his role on Terminator I remember him best for his role on "Fire in the Sky" the based on an actual "reported" account of UFO obduction. Had no idea he was a biker. Cool stuff duder!!

Anonymous said...

It's not like it wasn't official before... but now I'm 100% for sure...

You are like the coolest Joe I know.

Betty F said...

These are GREAT photos Joe! I'm intimidated these days by motorcycles.. But in my youth!!!! Well I rode a couple of times and it was like flying! Hope you can ride on the love Ride again soon! If I ever remember to play and then WIN Lotto, I'll look you up so you can fix or buy a new bike!

Jose said...

mr manuel - It's always fun meeting them. Robert Patrick is a very down to earth guy.

daveman - Yeah, I watched that movie too. To me Robert Patrick is a great supporting actor, he's come out in so many good movies. I think he finally won an Oscar for "Walk The Line". And yes he is an avid rider, and honorary Marshall of The Love Ride.

catscratch - I am??? Wow! My name is Joe and I am cool -- Hummm how about I call myself Joe Cool.

betty - I'm gonna hold you to it. I'll be praying for you to hit the lottery. lol

Michelle said...

Aww... it has been a long time since you've rode. Me too actually. How sad! Hopefully soon Daddy...

fuzzbert_1999@yahoo.com said...

Cool...Joe!

Jose said...

michelle - Long time indeed, I am so itching to ride.

mushy - Cool indeed.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants