Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Tribute

~Severson


ON THAT SEPTEMBER DAY

Driving to work at a little past six in the morning and listening to Kid and Ruben a pair of the wackiest funniest local DJs and not hearing any punch lines. People calling in crying, claiming disbelief, and just basically saying that what have this world come to.

Wait, this is not my normal radio show, what are they talking about? Something must have happened that has the radio listeners calling. See, Kid and Ruben are known for being the first to react anytime and every time something happened locally but there was something different in this broadcast. I continue to drive and almost as I reached my freeway exit Kid says, "As you may have heard there has been a news flash that a plane crashed onto one of the two buildings of the World Trade Center in New York City". As I heard those words the blood rushed to my head and back to my feet, my first reaction was to say one simple word out loud, WHAT? Did I hear right, a plane, as in a passenger plane or was it a small Cessna? Questions starting popping all over my brain.

Five minutes later I get to work and there are only about five cars there as it is still too early. I walk in and find one of our techs and a salesperson engaged in conversation. I walk in and tell the tech can you turn on the TV in the service department? I just heard in the news that a plane crashed on one of the towers of the World Trade Center. He just looked at me like saying, "What in the hell are you talking about?" He run to the room and turned the TV, it was all over the news already and for the next hour we just stood there. First it was just the three of us, but in a few minutes when I took my eyes off the TV and and looked around me, there were about 20 of us just standing there. None of us thought for a second that in a few minutes we would all witness a second plane crashing into the other tower.

What followed later I am sure is similar to what you all must have lived that day. This is one event that I probably won't forget for as long as I live.

4 comments:

Betty F said...

My memories are similar to your Joe, driving to work as the world seemed to collapse around me. Seems like so long ago, and it seems like yesterday.
Thanks for sharing your memories

Anonymous said...

Man it does seem as if it was just yesterday. I was in 6th grade when this happend..Every single year that this day comes I just feel sadness in me..May they all rest in peace.

Anonymous said...

There are things that are burned into our memories. Horrible things that have changed our lives forever.

ChrisJ said...

Great and very appropriate post, Jose. I was disappointed that our church didn't have any special event in remembrance this year. No reason I'm sure except that it has been going through a great deal of upheaval in the past year. ( We are retired from this church now, though still attend, but don't have any great influence, by policy).
Good for you! We must not forget!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants