Friday, October 31, 2008

Karaoke Night


I've been going to Manny's Mexican Restaurant here in Avondale every Friday afternoon for little over a month now. The reason is that every Friday afternoon is karaoke night. Now that the temperature is not over triple digits anymore it makes for a real nice afternoon in their patio.

As you can imagine within two weeks of going there we already made new friends, now as soon as I come in and right after the "hellos" and "how are yous" the next question is "What are you singing tonight?" I never know what I am going to sing, I look through the books or simply think of a song and ask if they have it which 98% of the time they do. Abe, our karaoke MC uses a computer instead of discs and I believe his archives are stocked with well over 2000 songs.

Some of the regulars there sing the very same song every week, specially the older singers. Me, I come up with new songs each week and I haven't even scratched the surface, I think I can go a very, very long time without repeating. The only reason for me to repeat a song is by request.

Well, tonight is Halloween so some people came in dressed in costume, including mi chica. Since I am too old to be walking around the streets trick or treating I let my kids take their kids. In the meantime we scored a lot of good candy for them at Manny's. Can anybody say cavities?


Mi chica meets me there and after she eats she starts lip-synking along. Here she is looking very much like a not so mean witch as she was smiling for the parparazzi.

Mi chica meets me there every Friday an hour after I get there. She doesn't karaoke but I noticed that she is really good at lip-syncing, but who knows maybe one day she will surprise us all.

Even my Bud light came dressed in its best Dracula costume. I called it my Budcula. And just for kicks here is one of the songs I sang tonight, except I changed the version a little bit.


Silver Wings

6 comments:

hollyplant said...

I am a member of a local karaoke club and we have a regular night there are pictures on my blog too. I always find there's something about music and singing that pulls everyone together. Certain song come on and the whole pub sings and everyone is so happy.

"Day dream believer" by the monkeys or build me up buttercup are some of our favourites. We invested in some custom CDG for special occasions like christmas and halloween.

Last night we debuted the new halloween and everyone wanted to do thriller, as expected but we had a great evening.

Chely said...

Hmmm...Karaoke every Friday evening. Where have I heard that before??? - LOL

I will like to give myself credit=D for "Sonsacar" a George with Rock En Espanol y "Sonsacarte" a ti with Karaoke.

Being a musical family, I just knew that George would eventually love Rock En Espanol - and so - I created a plan to achieve this goal. To this day, I am proud of my successful scheme.

I remember how hard it was, back-in-the-day for you to Karaoke. You wouldn't give me the time of day. But being a musical family, I knew you would eventually warm up to it.

...And I'm so glad you did! I especially love our Duet Sessions:)

Now, I have always noticed how your Chica lip-syncs to MANY songs. I have actually seen her already with a microphone on her hand and have heard her sing! I must admit this has only happened in the privacy of a home, but I know that one of these days she is going to surprise us all and sing at a Karaoke Bar=D

You better be ready with a Video Camera!

Michelle said...

Yes sounds fun... I will go and lip sync along with my mom!

I just looooooove the little Dracula beer cape! Oh I think it's the cutest!

Betty F said...

You're so brave! I'd NEVER have the guts to get up there and sing. I'm with your wife, I'd lipsink... AT MY TABLE.

Anonymous said...

AWESOME SONG, DADDY-O!!!!

One day me, you, Chica and Big T will have to go out!! One day, my friend!

Elena said...

Que padre!!!

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants