Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Thanksgiving


They said rain for Thanksgiving and gosh I think this time they got it right. After a cloudy Tuesday we finally got rain all night and as I write this it is raining outside. Now, don't get me wrong, I don't mind the rain, actually I love it but I hope that it doesn't rain on Friday as we have a karaoke party planned at Manny's and karaoke is usually out in the patio.

Thanksgiving is an American holiday, we do not celebrate it in Mexico but we now live here and in the United States, therefor we now celebrate it along with the rest of America. It's a tradition that goes back to the Pilgrims and the Indians. But really, when you think about it it is a very important holiday. How great that there is one day set aside for us to think and reflect on the thinks that we should be thankful for. And then to spend the day with the family to share this important celebration. The food is just an added bonus.

I was talking to a co-worker of mine and she said she was celebrating Thanksgiving with her father, when I asked how about with your mom she replied that her mom didn't believe in Thanksgiving for religious reasons and although I respects someone else's beliefs I can't help but wonder why is it that any religion would prevent you from being thankful and for celebrating.

I have so much to be thankful but the most important thing at the top of my list is that I am thankful for "mi chica", my wife, my friend, the boss of me, my everything. I found a song that pretty much sums it all up for many of us. During these hard days where so many are struggling I am really taking a hard look at where we are at and realize there is just so much that I am thankful for to even make a list.

There is a really cool song I like to sing that pretty much sums it up for me and I am sure for a lot of you too. I couldn't find a decent video to publish but I did find this video that someone did and did a great job at it.

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT


LUCKY MAN

I have days where I hate my job,
This little town and the whole world too
And last Sunday when the cardinals lost
Lord it put me in a bad mood

I have moments when I curse the rain
Then complain when the suns too hot
I look around at what everyone has
And I forget about all I've got

[chorus]
But I know I'm a lucky man
Gods given me a pretty fair hand
Got a house and piece of land
A few dollars in a coffee can
My old trucks still runnin' good
My tickers tickin like they say it should
I've got supper in the oven
A good woman's lovin
And one more day to be my little kids dad
Lord knows I'm a lucky man

Got some friends that would be here fast
I could call em any time of day
Got a brother who's got my back
Got a momma who I swears a saint
Got a brand new rod and reel
Got a full week off this year
Dad had a close call last spring
It's a miracle he's still here

[chorus]

My old trucks still runnin' good
My tickers tickin like they say it should
I got supper in the oven
A good womans lovin'
And even my bad days aint that bad
Yeah I'm a lucky man

I'm a lucky, lucky man


On that last note I wish you all have a great Thanksgiving celebration, and for those of you that for one reason or another don't believe in celebrating Thanksgiving Day, well then to you I wish a great Thursday.

6 comments:

Michelle said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Betty F said...

Great Post Jose; I don't get the non celebrating either. Regardless of where we're from, it's become an American celebration, speckled with Brockwurst, Tomales , and if my brain were working better, I'd have more examples. My daughter, though is under STRICK instructions to save us some tamales and bring them with her tomorrow! Have a wonderful day

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving my dear friend :-) I hope you had a wonderful day!

Jose said...

michelle - Happy Thanksgiving to you too.

betty - All I know is that having a family like the one I have is cause enough for celebration. I hope you day goes as planned.

erin - I hope your day is wonderful too. Don't eat too much turkey.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving weekend!!

I hope you ate too much and didn't get rained out of karaoke last night!

Jose said...

catscratch - You know the wishes are reciprocal. Yes, I ater a lot only because everything was delicious and by Friday the rain had passed and the weather was way nice. We had a terric time at Manny's where we sang all night.

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More

 
Top Web Hosting | manhattan lasik | websites for accountants